Sign in to follow this  

Hard starting TTR125L

I bought my wife an 02 TTR125L. Great bike, unless you tip it over. Then good luck staring it. She tends to "lay it down" alot and she has a hard time starting it. I can start it because I can kick it harder and faster. If by chance I've left her behind and have to turn around and go back to her I find her a little ticked off and tired from trying to start it. Any ideas on how to make this bike start easier for her? It's very cold blooded when it has been sitting, especially overnight. It take awhile with the choke closed to finally warm up enough to ride. Once it's warmed up and not layed down it starts real easy. I haven't messed with the jetting--all stock.

I bought an '04 TTR125L less than a month ago. When we got it, you had to have the choke on for about 5 minutes before it ran without it. It took forever to warm up.

I opened the airbox and put the larger jets into the carb: 17.5 pilot and 107.5 main. Also, opened the fuel screw to 2 full turns.

Now, when dead cold and sitting for a week, I close the choke, start the bike, and it fires right up. Best of all, I can open the choke all the way immediately, and the engine keeps running. Warms up right away. And when my girlfriend layed the bike down hard the other day, it started right up.

Just follow this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170429. It's pretty easy, even if you haven't done anything like that before. You don't have to remove the throttle and choke cables from the carb. Which makes it even easier.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'll give your suggestion a shot. Thanks!

A new carb would solve a lot of problems.
I think for brand new riders who want a very easy to manage, very easy to ride bike, re-jetting the stock carb (once the intake and exhaust are opened) is perfect.

I hope my girlfriend gets to the point where the TTR125 is way too tame for her. But that won't be for months, if not longer. Uncorked and re-jetted, the 22mm Mikuni is fine.

But don't get me wrong, SmarttYamaha! I look at the TTR125 and want to turn it into this:

370-BBR-1002.jpg

I look forward to installing the Hotcam I have for the bike. And maybe someday doing an aftermarket carb and big bore. But then, if my girlfriend becomes the rider I hope she does, I'll want to put her on a WR250.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'll give your suggestion a shot. Thanks!
You're welcome. All my familiarity with bikes has come from other members here on TT.

A lot of guys describe the stock bike as being "lean". To my mind, that's not really accurate. Lean means too much air in the air/fuel mixture. The real problem is that they are "corked". The engine is capable of pulling more air through it, but restrictions in the air intake and exhaust won't allow it. By opening the airbox and getting an aftermarket exhaust or opening up the stock one, you allow the engine to pull more air through itself. THEN it's lean, so you need to go up on the pilot and main jets, and turn out the fuel screw some.

After that, the engine runs real nice. The bike is no rocket, but it will very easily do 40 mph. And for desert trails, that's plenty plenty fast.

i've got an '02 and its real hard to start i suggest turning off the gas and leaving it running till it runs out of gas it your going to put it up for a while, cleans out the carb, thats worked for me. but its seems that all 125's are just naturally cold.