Sign in to follow this  

Wheelies in Cali....

After reading the 10 days in jail thread I have come to the impression that Wheelies are not allowed on public land.

Can someone clarifiy this for me.

After reading the 10 days in jail thread I have come to the impression that Wheelies are not allowed on public land.

Can someone clarifiy this for me.

Any of these 15 mph zones in the camp sites or riding parks fall under this. 26 years ago I got a ticket for being a public nuisance. 6 months/$500 max fines, I was wheeling a 3 wheeler behind the MC shop I worked at. It was in a private parking lot behind the store that we had permission to operate vehicles for minor testing purposes. Saw the Judge and he dismissed the case because the law was to be for kids spinning donuts in the large shopping center parking lots. My how times have not changed.

If you look at the speed limit sighs in the parks you may notice that they are silver with black numbers. The same as on the highway. That is a small indication of how much trouble you can get into. Vehicle Code 38316 in any of the OHV parks is for Reckless Driving. (It is unlawful for any person to drive any off-highway motor vehicle with a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of other persons or property).The penalty for this is a minimum of not less than 5 days in the county jail or by fine of not less than $50 dollars nor more than $500 dollars or both such fine and imprisonment. VC 38310 Prima Facie Speed Limit. (The prima facie speed limit within 50 feet of any campground campsite, or concentration of people or animals shall be 15 miles per hour unless changed as authorized by this code and, if so changed only when signs have been erected giving notice therof.(prima facie means it is understood and does not have to be posted). So, with these two laws and you are doing a wheelie within 50 feet of other people or etc, you can be busted. If you are doing a wheelie in the posted parts of the park like the main park roads or campground and you pop a wheelie, they can and will cite you for something else for example exibition of speed, non working front service brake, (since it off the ground it doesnt work) or various other options. " But sir I know I was doing a wheelie but I wasn't going over the speed limit" (common comment) "I know son but as far as I'm concerned the vehicle was out of control" (common reply)

I freaking can't believe we're having this discussion. And I can't believe we have to have a cop chime in to tell us when, why and how we can wheelie. I used to love CA.

The bottom line is if there is a cop with an attitude around, don't wheelie. I'm sure that there is a cop out there that would give you a ticket even if you were alone on a dry lake bed.

maybe if those cops weren't trying to catch us riding dirty all the time they would have a little fun a lighten up Francis! maybe we need to start with our children and have them not beat up on the little insignificant buger eaters that will be tomorrows heroes in blue?

Come on guys, this is nothing new. Even way back when, if you did something that drew attention you were going to be stopped and possibly cited. The kid in question had 2 dui's and a suspended license. Pismo is too small and too packed. All you have to do is turn your head and see somebody doing an insane stunt on a holiday weekend. Give the LEOs a break. Sure there are some jerks, but there are jerks in every profession.

• Like 1

I used to think that cops were out to get me too. Laws are meant to protect everyone. The legal system is forced to step in and tell you what to do because you can not be responsible on your own actions. Take the helmet law for instance.

For the most part a few wheelies don't hurt anyone but when you get 20 or 30 people doing it in the same area, it can become a hazard. Toss in some alcohol and it really gets deadly. The camp grounds and common areas are not the place get wild. Out on the trails and riding areas are. Innocent people can get killed and hurt and guess who gets to clean up the mess. The police, sheriffs, park rangers, firemen and paramedics. These people can't walk away or turn their heads. There's nothing worse than seeing an innocent child or person suffer because of a irresponsible senseless act of another.

It's easy to understand why they get attitudes because alot of people give them one. I don't think it would take long for them to develop intolerance after seeing killed and maimed people time after time. Just think what it would be like if they weren't around. Lots of people would die and you would have to fight a war in your front yard everyday. Public safety personnel are people too and are not perfect or always right. They have their own system of checks and balances and if someone thinks they are being mistreated, they should file a complaint. As a rule, I am cautious of public safety personnel because I have had bad experiences myself, but I am glad they are out there. So give them a break.

If we, (as a group) are not more responsible for our actions, we can expect more and more restrictions on everything that we do in the future. We can change the current environment by our actions everyday.

Good Luck !

STS.

• Like 1

The bottom line is if there is a cop with an attitude around, don't wheelie.

i think the bottom line is that if you go to a very crowded ohv park on a big weekend when you know enforcement will be up, and you have a few dui's and a suspended license, and you flagrantly show off or otherwise do something stupid, you might get busted for it.

i've ridden an awful lot in california, probably 10,000 hard offroad miles, and i've only even seen rangers a couple times. if you go to pismo, or dumont, or glamis, or sand mountain and act like a jackass, it may come back to bite you. if you want to act like a jackass, go somewhere more remote where there aren't a zillion families, drunken gangstas, punks w/o licenses, and LE rangers. :applause:

Too many people think dirt biking = lack of driving laws. Instead of dirt biking giving you the opportunity to let it all hang out at pacified times.

Too many people think dirt biking = lack of driving laws. Instead of dirt biking giving you the opportunity to let it all hang out at pacified times.

Very true.

The fact is if you act stupid anywhere you can get in trouble. Wheelies are not bad but would you want someone you did not know riding a wheelie past your kid in the parking lot? Hell no. Might you want to see that same person do a 5 mile wheelie down a dirt road in the desert across whoops and sand washes (if possible)? Hell yes, if you were prepared for it.

My lawer told me that doing 100+ down and empty freeway might not be wreakless driving but going 10mph below the speed limit through a crosswalk with someone in it (and you get close to them) could and would most likly be wreakless driving. You have to be "in control" and nobody can be in direct danger (not sure of the exact term he used here). The DA was happy to give me an excesive speed violation down from a wreakless driving ticket for riding a wheelie becuase nobody was around. My attorney said it was a slam dunk case because I was not wreakless driving just because of a wheelie. That particluar cop was a *#@F HEAD! I do appreciate the cop that keeps people from being stupid around my kids, and I do understand that does not always mean writing tickets or taking people to jail.

If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough (and know where the cops are).

JW

Pismo Beach is the most heavily patrolled stretch of land that I have ever experienced. If you're going to do something stupid, this is the worst place in the world to do it. If you've ever seen the number of families with little kids trying to dodge traffic to play in the surf, you would understand why Johnny Law cracks down on the idiots. The 15 mph speed limit is there for a reason.

On the other hand, all this clown had to do was ride at a sensible speed about 100 feet out into the dunes and cut it loose. It that really too much to ask? Simple equation: Act like a danger to society, and you're going to be treated like a criminal.