2020 Beta Motorcycles Announced Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

do you have to replace a front sprocket when you replace a rear?

Just got a new rear one and getting a chain but I was wondering if it is necessary to replace the front sprocket at the same time. They never really seem to show much wear.

Rule of thumb is that all three (chain, countershaft and rear sprockets) be replaced as a complete set.

It's a good idea to change both sprockets and the chain at the same time becasue they wear together. An old sprocket (or chain) can cause premature wear.

good luck

Rule of thumb is that all three (chain, countershaft and rear sprockets) be replaced as a complete set.

He's right. If you don't do it your new chain and sprocket will wear out quicker. :applause:

I tend to agree that changing them all is a good idea, but does anybody have any proof or real life examples. If you can see wear on the sprocket, I wouldn't re-use it, but I've swapped sprockets here and there that were in real good condition, and haven't noticed any ill effects.

Like previously stated. Change all three. It is only $20 or less for a counter shaft. Quite an investment when considering premature wear of a chain and rear sprocket.:applause:

I interchange sprockets all the time without replacing all 3 pieces. It really depends how much wear is on it.

I tend to agree that changing them all is a good idea, but does anybody have any proof or real life examples. If you can see wear on the sprocket, I wouldn't re-use it, but I've swapped sprockets here and there that were in real good condition, and haven't noticed any ill effects.

What are you, some kind of wise guy? Looking for objective evidence and facts!

I bought a used 2005 KLR650 last year w/ 2580 miles and the original owner never lubed the chain. Front sprocket was very hooked...looked like it had 15k on it. Rear looked fine. I bought a new front sprocket for it for the time being, until it all goes bad. Oh, and lubed the chain...LOL.

There is a good example of a front being way more worn than a rear. Doesn't always happen, but this time it was.

I previously went through 2 RGK o-ring chains and 2 moose rear alum sprockets (I the combo works great for me) and now that I am on my third set, I finally replaced the front (it still looked decent, but for $20 I figured I might as well. This set of chain/sprockets has worn noticably better. I normally had to adjust after the first right and next was about the 5th ride (then it stayed put for awhile). So far I am at the first adjust mark on the 3rd ride.

If you want an alum rear I would really look at the moose ones, they are by far the best alum sprockets I've bought (tried tag, renthal, and primary drive)

Thanks for all the input guys I will go ahead and get a front one. Just got a rear tag sprocket new off ebay for 30 bucks shipped

I usually replace my tire when it looks worn, because of the tire I will do the chain and sprockets---the front is just as worn as the rear.

Roger that :applause: