Sign in to follow this  

Having trouble starting my 07

Just got my white 07 yz 250. I found it hard to start especially off cold start. Seems when I use the choke it floods. It takes a while to start. Any tricks or just need to brake it in. Oh its all stock.

I have a brand new YZ250F and what always works for me is:

Cold -- Choke out (on). Hands off the throttle. Kick it 8 times. It always fires up on 8th or 9th kick. Fast idle for 20-45 seconds and then warm up with choke off.

Hope this helps.

maybe u can try this: turn the throttle about 2-3 times to prime the carb with the ap sqirt. Then i kick the kick starter slowly a couple of times and not intending to start it up. Next i kick the kick starter up to the point u feel theres resistence, this is the compression stroke of the dirtbike thats giving u the resistence, i then move like 1 inch from this tension spot and then bring back the kick starter, the point of this is to try to get the piston at TDC as well as to get all 4 valves closed...Next i kick the kickstarter like i would on a 2 stroke and it fires up on first kick for me (starting it cold)..

and also have u broken in the bike yet...if the rings haven't seated yet...it will be hard to start.....

Cold -- Choke out (on). Hands off the throttle. Kick it 8 times. It always fires up on 8th or 9th kick. Fast idle for 20-45 seconds and then warm up with choke off.

This is the method I use and my experience is exaclty the same...8-9 kicks before it starts.

mine took 50+ kicks the very first ride fresh off the truck...ever since its been 1-2 kicks and 1 kick with the jd jet kit

choke,twist throttle 3 times,find hard spot,bring up find hard spot again and kick

make sure you grease those bearings!!!

8-9 kick on a new bike? I would be pissed. My 01 will start first kick on a cold morning almost every time.... Just pull the choke, 1-2 throttle twists, find the comp stroke and it fires right up.

yeah I have an 06 and when it is cold I twist the throttel at least 2 times and it starts right up .... if I don't twist the throttel a couple of times when it is cold it takes a while to start...... by the way DO NOT twist the throttle when the bike is warm it won't start then

Unless its really cold outside (below 20 degrees) you shouldnt need to touch the throttle.

Give it full choke and it should fire in 2-5 kicks. Let the bike idle on full choke for 10-20 seconds (longer depending upon how cold the temp is) and be ready to pull the choke out quick if the bike starts to stall. My '06 250F ALWAYS started on the 2nd to 4th kick.

With a 4-stroke you really dont want to touch the throttle when kicking it over because sometimes it can kick back on you.

I had the same probleme with my '07 when I first got it and what I found is that when it is cold blip the throttle 3 times, do not hold it open, then leave the throttle alone and kick it, mine starts up within 2 kicks.