Sign in to follow this  

forks and suspension

Im thing on adding dome spacers to my forks. but i dont know what exactly it does. and i was trying to adjust the preload yesterday, but i couldnt get it to loosen up. no sure what it does. can someone please explain to me what those things are for? thanks. one more thing. i am 5'6 and around 150. how can i set up my suspension for the whoops. so i can go though them a little easier. thanks again

I'm not an expert by any means in suspension setup, but to help you with other things. Spray up the pre-load rings with WD-40, use a hammer and punch, they'll come loose. Your also thinking of putting spacers in your forks. What you do is you add 1" O.D washer on top of your springs. They pre-load your springs and make the forks stiffer.

Be more specific, why exactly are you having problems with them? I cannot give you a simple solution, riding is a skill you have to learn by practice.

-Matt

sort of scary to look at. but with my little xr 80 i would just jump them. im still hesitating to jump my 150. 216 pounds scary...

What would pre-loading be good for? im just trying to get though the whoops better and faster. would these things work?

Preload does a lot for you (see link below) especially with these progressive springs (see link below).

Here's a thread that should answer most if not all of your questions: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1940565#post1940565

Post up if you have any questions after that.

The fork cap wouldn't come off probably because you didn't loosen the upper pinch bolts.

Good luck!

:applause:

so preloading the forks is just taking off the cap and placing the washers in and torqueing the cap back on? what should it do? would it make my ride rougher smoother or the same. i know it should help with jumps. also how many washers should i use in each fork for my weight? i weight 150.

What will preloading the shock do?

thanks

so preloading the forks is just taking off the cap and placing the washers in and torqueing the cap back on?

yes

1" of pre-load is about the norm

this will make your shocks stiffer and therefore reducing how easily the shocks are compressed.

as for the whoops, i just jump them usually. if u can land on the downside they dont take that much toll on your arms or suspension

so preloading the forks is just taking off the cap and placing the washers in and torqueing the cap back on? what should it do? would it make my ride rougher smoother or the same. i know it should help with jumps. also how many washers should i use in each fork for my weight? i weight 150.

thanks

Somebody will pipe up on washer size and quantity or do a search. Set the sag(how far the bike goes down when you sit on it) on the rear spring to about 3". (I think 3" is correct) This means tighten the nuts on the rear spring until the bike goes down 3" when you sit on it.

Sounds like the whoops you are trying to master might be a little bigger than one will Supercross through on a trail bike. If I am wrong on that it is because my fat ass sucks on the whoops.:applause:

thanks

That's basically it. All the details are in the link I gave you.

What would pre-loading be good for? im just trying to get though the whoops better and faster. would these things work?

I preloaded my forks and it helped. Just make sure you don't use too many washers otherwise you may bottom out to quickly on the forks.

thanks

You have asked the same freakin' question 9652345678 times!!! Preloading the suspension makes it stiffer thus making you less likely to bottom out on drops, jumps, and whoops!!!!!!

Preloading the front springs allows the bike to hold the front end up higher when you hit things and also increases the rebound speed (time it takes your forks to extend after commpressing). When the front end is not coming back up your weight is falling over the front and it begins to progressivlly run lower with each whoop. Keeping the front up lets the bike ride thru the whoops instead of having all the weight transfer to the front. Also, if you crank up the preload on the rear it will move weight over the front. 3-3 1/2" is a starting point for rear sag. Don't go less than 3" sag as it will run the rear high and push the front end down in whoops

i added 5, 1 inch washers in each fork. they are still a little soft. and when i push down on them it sounds like a super quiet whoosh