Sign in to follow this  

dead battery?

I have a 06 TT-R250 and the damn bike won't start up. At first, I try to start it up with the e-start and it sounds like it's gonna start up. The engine is turning over, but it wouldn't start up for some reason. After a while, it's turning over really slow. Eventually it wouldn't turn over anymore. The headlights won't even turn on so I figure it's a dead battery...so is it a dead battery or is it something else? The funny thing is I've ridden my bike a week earlier and it seemed to turn on no problem and rode without any problems. Before that ride though, I haven't ridden it in 2 months...so I don't know. I just hope it's some easy problem to fix because I'm not really a expertise in motorcycles...

to add to this, I did leave my key in the bike on accident on my last ride. I don't know if that helps any...

Charge your battery, install a new spark plug, and if it still doesn't start take your carb out and clean it. Good luck.
Ok it starts up now. I had to charge my battery and I cleaned the carb up. I'm just happy the problem is fixed. :applause:

Do not be surprised if your battery now does not hold a charge. I would get a tender and put a pig-tail on the battery... just keep it plugged in. Very probable, especially if you do not ride often, that you've killed the battery.

I had similar symptoms though I did not leave the key on, and the problem would be fine, then would return at very inopportune times... like after stopping at top of mountain to check out the view, only to hop back on bike 20 minutes later to have the bike NOT start... and these are pigs to bump start...

Take battery to dealer if you notice any symptoms or if charge does not last long, and have them test it.