Sign in to follow this  

TTR 325 smoking???????

OK I got the bike together and it run's great very crisp response and no missing or bogg's. Here is the problem it is starting to smoke and it smells like oil, but it is still running very well.... Here is my thought on what it could be, and I mean it is smoking alot and seems to be getting worse.

1. when I was putting the piston in and you have to stagger the gaps in the rings, is it possible that the oil ring gaps got lined up and oil is seeping by into the jug? (this would account for the still running good, the other two rings are in good position and making good compression.)

2. when I redone the head and put the new valve seals in I dammaged one on the exashust side vlave seals and oil is getting into the ex ports and burning in the pipe.

Any help! I hate to tear it down again, and if I do should I order new gaskets?

From the engines I have worked on, most have an index pin that only allows the piston ring to be installed in one position. these are usually offset on multi-ring pistons to account for the stagger. Did this one not have index pins.

The valve seat is a very good possibility to cause the problem, especially if you know there was damage when putting them in. Unfortunately, when these things happen, it's harder to stop and say let me fix it right than it is to say maybe it won't matter. Believe me I am having the same problem with my son's 85 after a crank replacement.

As far as the gaskets, I would go ahead and replace them if you have to tear down. To me it is easier and cheaper to do it right once than get it back together and then have something fail based on a few dollar gasket that wasn't replaced.

I put new valve seals in when I rebuilt it. There are no locating pin's in the piston, it is wiesco made for thumper racing, I think I will just tear it down this weekend and see where it is comming from.

How bad is it smoking?? How much time is on it since the rebuild? Is it possible that it's just not getting good ring sealing and is smoking because of it?

Mike

It has 16 miles on it, I am going to tear it down today I am going to check the valve seals first and then take the jug off and look at the rings, I was suspect of the oil ring when I put it together they just didnt seem big (fat)enough they didnt fill up the grove they went in, I am going tocall thumper this afternoon.

I have a d/s ttr in my garage and have been toying with the idea of getting this thumper racing kit. Did you have to send the whole engine out or was a local shop able to do the case work? How much better was it in those 16 miles you rode it?

BFS

OK I tore it down and the piston looks like it had been ridden for 500 miles the skirt is scraped and it looked bad, Called Thumper and I just sent the jug and piston off to let them look at it, I am sure I did something wrong when I put it back together, I hate that... I have rebuilt this motor two other times and had the top end apart a few times after getting water in it at a few enduros, I can almost do it in my sleep... I guess I will find out next week. I thought the oil rings didnt look right when i put them in, they were thinner and seemed to small for the piston slot. I told thumper this and they said to send it to them so they can look at it. They are a standup company I like dealing with someone who doesnt just say oo you screwed it up we will fix it,,

do not let my mess up stop you from doing this update belive me it is well worth it, but I gues you would want them to do the work just in case. the power gain is well worth the hassle I am having now.