Sign in to follow this  

easiest way to clean a mikuni carb (04 450smr)

Bike won't start. Adjusted valves. Can smell gas but plug is dry. I am getting spark. What is the easiest way to clean the carb? What exactly do I need to clean? I'm a noobie and want to learn but also don't want to get in over my head. Also, anyone know where I can get a copy of the workshop manual? Thanks

Cleaning the carb really isn't too complicated. Just take your time and remember where things go.I am FAR from an expert, but this is what worked for me. Take the carb completely off the bike. (I find it easiest just to remove the sub frame and air box first). Remove the float bowl. Up inside the carb, you will find several jets. Remove them with a small screwdriver and blow them out with carb cleaner. Shoot some cleaner up through the openings as well. I actually took the air intake side of the carb off and found the air jets were plugged with dirt and the rubber gasket was torn. You will find two allen screws holding this part on,(air boot side). I had to get creative and take a saw to an allen wrench to get it to work...painstakingly slow to get the allen screws out to say the least. If you do get to the air jets, remember the location they came from...you CAN get them mixed up. You won't know until you get everything back together and start the bike. (Don't ask me how I know this). There are service manuals on line...do a search in this forum. They give a good breakdown of the carb, but no real instructions on how to clean it. I am sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in with some user friendly tips. Some pretty cool guys around here. Good luck with your project.

Word of warning, that gasket between the carb bowl and carb body will curl up once you take it out. If you don’t plan on changing it you can just put some atv silicon and form it back to place then your good to go..

Remove the rubber gasket before you get any carb cleaner on it, it makes the gasket twist and hard to get back in.

I took the carb off and it's spraying gas. Should I continue to clean it or look else where for the problem?

One other idea here. If you have a large brand dealer that has a good service department. See if they have this new type of carb cleaning tank. I think it uses some sort of ultra sound. I know it takes like 30 minutes just to get the carb tank ready. These new four stroke carbs have so many nooks and crannys this way you know its clean. Just another thought.