Sign in to follow this  

Kennedy Meadows, CA

Anyone been up there? Where exactly is it from Kernville? Trying to figure out where I can ride in summer on a Red Sticker (almost feel like a criminal) bike. Links I followed from corva site says year round but not quite sure how big it is and where to stage. Will be traveling from Santa Clarita area to check it out. The area is on the Kern Plateau.

Any info or links will be appreciated.

TIA.

It's faster to go through the desert. Head up the 14. After it merges with the 395 keep going. A few miles after Pearsonville turn left on nine mile canyon. The simple staging places are the Fish creek and Troy meadows campgrounds. If you stay on the road for a few miles past Troy meadows you come to the Blackrock ranger station. They have maps there.

I never go to the developed campgrounds. There are just too many people there. I have several spots to camp right on one of the trails. The one I like best is at 9200 feet on the Blackrock trail. The only visitors are the occasional ranger and other riders. Can't have a fire after the restrictions go into effect, but it's a nice place. There are several other camp spots known a "fire safe areas" when you can still have a fire even in fire restrictions.

Don't ride your bike on the paved roads, or even most dirt ones. The rangers will give you a ticket. They are really tight about it up there.

The trails are pretty tough up there. Fun but they tire you out. The elevations range from 7500 to 10000 feet. Can't go there now as the roads are closed for the winter. It usually opens sometime between late April and July.

Thank you. How big an area is it? I have been looking at the map online but hard to tell as it is in 6 or 8 parts. Thanks for the info.

Kennedy is pretty good size, easy 2-3 days of riding if you try to ride all of the trails. it probably won't be open until june due to snowpack and will close with the first snow around october.

I haven't been up there in ahhhhh well at least 2 oops 3 decades, sounds like it will be calling my name this summer. Is the fishing still good? We used to have a blast up there in my late teens.

I haven't been up there in ahhhhh well at least 2 oops 3 decades, sounds like it will be calling my name this summer. Is the fishing still good? We used to have a blast up there in my late teens.

I've never caught anything but brook trout there, but there are a lot of them. There may be some rainbows in the larger streams. I used to go up there lot before I ever had a dirt bike.

Anyone been up there? Where exactly is it from Kernville? Trying to figure out where I can ride in summer on a Red Sticker (almost feel like a criminal) bike. Links I followed from corva site says year round but not quite sure how big it is and where to stage. Will be traveling from Santa Clarita area to check it out. The area is on the Kern Plateau.

Any info or links will be appreciated.

TIA.

http://media.putfile.com/KM-Photostory

paul

I've never caught anything but brook trout there, but there are a lot of them. There may be some rainbows in the larger streams. I used to go up there lot before I ever had a dirt bike.

There are rainbows, some browns, and even golden trout if you know where to look.

Anyone ever try fishing in Jackass Creek? I have wanted to try, but too busy riding the rocks!

There are rainbows, some browns, and even golden trout if you know where to look.

Where exactly are you guys fishing? I went there last August and the water level was too low in the Kern river, it all looked too small, shallow, and narrow to fish.

Any pointers would be great for this year.

There are two Kennedy Meadows in CA. Some guys may be talking about the Kennedy Meadows off Hwy 108 above Pinecrest and Strawberry. That location is Emigrant Wilderness- Hoof or foot only-nothing with wheels. It is beautiful area, lots of good places to hunt or fish. If you go up 108 before you get to the Kennedy turn off there is Eagle Meadow/Niagra Rim Trail-OHV area, open year round to red stickers (once the snow melts). One small camp ground with pit toilets or just pitch a tent anywhere in the National Forest area. Great area for Jeeps, bikes or quads.

There is only one Kennedy Meadows in my heart. It's famous from all time and needs no explanation. :applause:

Funny thing is that there is really no riding at this Kennedy Meadows either anymore. You just drive through Kennedy to get to the riding in the Sequoia National Forest.

You have lots of directions,, Be sure to have a spark Arrestor on your Bike,,I was there after labor day a few years back,, saw a sign or something about the sound tests conducted over labor day... Trials were to rough for my 9year old son so we just rode around the road a few times and hiked a bit.. very relaxing.. Think it would be fun to have an 80 or xr100 to just sight see on the bike trails.. careful met a regualr that hit a cow riding ( CR500) by himself.. you will be along ways form anything...