Sign in to follow this  

1984 kx250 hard to start

my sons 1984 kx 250 is hard to start i have been using synthetic oil but i tried non synthetic oil and it starts ok should i be worried or is there a simple explanation ?

i have asked my local bike shop they siad it should not make any diference which oil you use

put a new spark plug and some fresh gas to start, that things carb is probably clogged beyond belief

Sorry i forgot to mention i have pulled the carby down and cleaned it

and i have used fresh Fuel

Is it running rich? Maybe your pilot jet is too big? Just taking a stab in the dark here. More info on the problem would help. What have you tried so far?

the bike takes forever to start when i use synthetic oil

if i put non synthetic oil in the bike starts okay

the only difference is the oil

i have cleaned the carby many time i have used fresh fuel new plugs

i dont know what other info you need please ask as i would like to know why

I don't think the problem here is the oil.... you have something else going on. What oil/fuel mixture are you running? Should be really no richer than 40/1. Have you checked your jetting to make sure its all stock? Needle clip position? Does the bike have good compression? What are the temperatures you are trying to run it at? Is your air filter clean? These are just some more things to consider.

if you find that your jetting is all good and everything, check your reeds. If the reeds are chipped or pieces are missing then it could be a royal PITA to start. If thats fine then check to see if yo have good compression. Another thing I've seen people do is put the piston in backwards and that makes it a pain too.

i am using 30:1 fuel mix which i was told to use by my local bike shop

the only thing is i dont know what the stock needl and clip is looks like i must be running to rich

i will try 40:1 next time i go out hope thats all it is

they're telling you to use 30:1 becuase it's an old bike and they're trying to be conservative. If you use a synthetic oil, there is no reason to run any more than a 40:1 mixture. 30:1 for a synthetic is way overkill, use 40:1. My suggestion is to find a clymer manual on ebay or somewhere for $25 so you can find out what your stock jetting specs and adjustments are. There is also a lot of other useful stuff in there like what your compression is suppose to be, wear limits, and sorts.

Also, are you cracking the throttle open a little when kicking it? Some bikes take just a little throttle open, some bikes take a little more.

Karl