Sign in to follow this  

new to dual sports

i am thinking of getting a dual sport bike. I currently have a 2006 ttr 250 which i will either sell or trade fo a used dual sport. I want somthing with the same off road capibilites of my ttr. I cant afford a drz 400 s. Would a 96 xr 250 L handle as well off road as my ttr 250. thanks for any info.

Why not put a Baja Designs lighting kit on your TTR and then title it? (around $400.00) The XR250L probably doesn't have the suspension your TT has.

I was thinking of doing that, but the light kit is about $400, then i have to pay sales tax to Md because i bought the bike in DE. Thats another $250. Then I would need DOT tires which is more money. It might be almost $1000 buy the time i got everything done and there is still no gurantee I could get it tagged. It just seems to make more since to get a factory dual sport bike with everything that it needs.

I do not have DOT tires on my licenced XR400. True, the DOT's will wear better but I do not think anyone checks them. Your Baja Designs kit should be cheaper for your TTR because you already have a battery, etc. You might also get away with just adding turn signals and brake lights. According to a 1998 "State Motorcycle Equipment Requirements" chart on 4Strokes.com You don't need turn signals but will need a speedometer for inspections (required on transfer of title).