Sign in to follow this  

2007 Ktm 250 Sx

I currently ride a 2002 CRF450R, and have never ridden a two strok, how will this bike compare?

It makes about the same amount of power and is about 25lbs. lighter.

A 450 makes 50 lazy hp. A 250 makes 50 hyper hp.

It starts half way through the first kick. Hot or cold!

It handles a lot better.

If I had to ride a 4-stroke, I would quit riding motorcycles and just ride my MTB.

• Like 1

I came off an 03 CRF450R to an 07 250SX and would never go back to the 4-stroke. The handling on the KTM is so much better it is really unbelievable the first time you take it out. The power is about the same it is just higher in the rpm range. The biggest thing you will notice is the weight difference, it is simply astonishing how much ligher the 2-stroke is and how much longer you can ride because of it!!!

LONG LIVE THE 2-STROKES :applause: :applause: :lol:

Yamahaa will probably follow suite next year and make the YZ250 much lighter than it currently is. They arent racing the two strokes at the pro level anymore, so who cares about weight rules. Make them as light as possible. I have an 05 250sx, and it will pull my buddies RMZ450. I think some of that has to do with gearing though, his first gear is alot taller than mine, it might end where my second gear does. If your racing competative motocross, than you may not be as happy with the two stroke, they are not as easy to ride fast. Also, the extra weight of the four stroke has a tendancy to keep the bike tracking straight, and make for a less switchy handling. I love two strokes, cc for cc, they are the best. I also like being able to do almost all the work on my own bike without having to spend a fortune in tools.

Well I'm thinking about racing cause up untill now its just been messing around in a very fast manner, I love the grunt of the 450, what is the torque gunna be like, will the 250SX be good for trail riding and what not. Watching LMS this last weekend there were A LOT of 2 strokes, why is that? If it is so much better why are 4 strokes so popular? Will the power be ocuard for someone who has only ridden 4 strokes?

4st are/were a fad and lots of people going back to 2st now. They hook up better and easier to control the power than a 2st, but the weight, maintenance and cost of the bike and parts are bad. Easy starts, lite weight, easy/cheap to work on is a 2st.

Yamahaa will probably follow suite next year and make the YZ250 much lighter than it currently is. They arent racing the two strokes at the pro level anymore, so who cares about weight rules. Make them as light as possible. I have an 05 250sx, and it will pull my buddies RMZ450. I think some of that has to do with gearing though, his first gear is alot taller than mine, it might end where my second gear does. If your racing competative motocross, than you may not be as happy with the two stroke, they are not as easy to ride fast. Also, the extra weight of the four stroke has a tendancy to keep the bike tracking straight, and make for a less switchy handling. I love two strokes, cc for cc, they are the best. I also like being able to do almost all the work on my own bike without having to spend a fortune in tools.

I can't see Yamaha doing the same redesign to the YZ250 as KTM has done to the 250SX for the simple reason of the R&D cost to make it a reality. Yamaha took a big step forward with the aluminum frame and new SSS forks but dropping even more weight would be a big challenege for them. I'm not saying they can't do it, but I personally don't see any big changes coming in the near future. They haven't even put the new YZF plastics on them or offered the anniversary colors on the 2-strokes. This is one thing I hope to be wrong about though.

I think that my 250sx is a lot easer to ride than any of the 4-strokes that I have tried. To get any real power out of those 450s you have to rev them pretty hard. It is hard for me to keep a big heavy thumper up on the cam all the time.

My bike has enough power to ride it in 3rd gear all day if I feel like it or I can tap dance on the shifter all day if I want to.

The best part about the KTM 2-strokes is that you can change the power band to suit your own type of riding. All you have to do is change the power valve spring and get a torque pipe or a top-end pipe.

P.S. You can buy two pipes for a 2-stroke for less than what one pipe costs for a 4-stroke.

I can't see Yamaha doing the same redesign to the YZ250 as KTM has done to the 250SX for the simple reason of the R&D cost to make it a reality. Yamaha took a big step forward with the aluminum frame and new SSS forks but dropping even more weight would be a big challenege for them. I'm not saying they can't do it, but I personally don't see any big changes coming in the near future. They haven't even put the new YZF plastics on them or offered the anniversary colors on the 2-strokes. This is one thing I hope to be wrong about though.

Is it possiable that the KTM weights 10 to 8 lbs less than Yamaha, is because it dosen't have a linkage rear end? Other than that they would not get any lighter.

in my experience it takes more energy to ride a 250 2-st........more strength to ride the 450

Is it possiable that the KTM weights 10 to 8 lbs less than Yamaha, is because it dosen't have a linkage rear end? Other than that they would not get any lighter.

Good point. I can see about a six pound weight savings without a rear linkage but I doubt there is 10lbs of aluminum back there. I know how to find out, but since I just took everything apart last month and greased every single needle bearing in the rear linkage, I have no desire to pull it apart again just to weigh it :applause: . I have a 2006 YZ250 and a 2007 250SX in the garage. I wieghed them in the garage and the KTM was 11lbs lighter than the Yamaha. I couldn't believe it was such a huge difference so I borrowed some other scales and they came up with the same results. The KTM is incredibly light :applause:

If two strokes are so much better, why is honda dropping their CR250 and what is their motive for pushing their four storke series?

sales....US is going to stricter emissions and they are racing them now so they are cutting them out. I think the US sales has to be half or more of their market so just a sales thing. They also dont make an offroad 2st, just MX bikes. You dont see too many CR's in an offroad race. Way more Yam, KTM, KX in offroad.

If two strokes are so much better, why is honda dropping their CR250 and what is their motive for pushing their four storke series?

Supply and demand. The public wants four strokes because that is what Ricky and Bubba race on televesion.

there is nothing on two wheels with more technical off-road potential than the 07 250 SX at the moment. But you must pay. For starters you need to do the suspension at one of the few places who know the new TC forks. Stock it's pretty good on a track, but forget it on rocky single track. Trailtrick or Mx-tech seem to be on top of the new stuff, and a few other places. Then you'll need a tank, etc. I will add 9oz to the flywheel on mine, though it's not bad stock.

The only inherent limitation (which you could also fix with alot of trouble) is the gear box. Very CR. Stock the bike is ready for nasty ST but won't do over about 52 mph.

There is NO bike with this kind of power any where near as light. The weight is very low which magnifies every pound lost. My 06 250SXF feels like a complete pig in comparison.

Power is good right off idle once you have the jetting good and the red spring in the pv. Can be short shifted to take it easy.

They are not easy to find at the moment.

sand.jpg

dont forget the advertised weights are meaningless, you have to weigh them yourself to be sure. They have been way off every time a magazine checks them.

Dows anyone know of any porfecianal online reviews for this bike?

Dows anyone know of any porfecianal online reviews for this bike?

I'm sorry,but that is some horrendous spelling.