Sign in to follow this  

Headsets that are Baja worthy

Last time I was there with my group a few of us tried a cheap pust to talk/ throat mic for the Motorola or Cobra radios. Worked for about 50 miles. And they were rather noisy.

Any thoughts on the best way to go? We need something tough.

Icom IC-T7H Radio - UHF and VHF, easy to program, 'Sport' model uses AA batteries. Great radio for ~$165

t7hsm.jpg

RocketMate headset - Great headset with solid connections and handlebar mount ptt ~$44

K06D.jpg

Very easy to install the headset into your helmet and for $200 you have about the best, and most versatile moto comm available.

www.helmetkits.com Ask for Doug, he's a racer/rider himself, good guy.

Good to know Cosmo...

I took his picture, and used it to show the major point of that headset... and what truly makes it worth the cost... see attachment;

:applause:

STANDARD_KIT - edit.jpg

Last time I was there with my group a few of us tried a cheap pust to talk/ throat mic for the Motorola or Cobra radios. Worked for about 50 miles. And they were rather noisy.

Any thoughts on the best way to go? We need something tough.

Spend the extra $$ and you'll see a HUGE difference.

Me and my girlfriend, friends, and baja riding buds all use the Baja Designs Headsets.... even in the dunes, and love them. Can't beat the quality over the $44, $65, $85 dollar deals you see from Pryme and other brands. I've tried them all... and the pic I attached shows where the quality is in the headset. The mic, a huge PLUS. The connectors, ruggedized and no little pins to bend or break. The cables... heavy duty and insulated/shielded.

The term you get what you pay for is relevant in this case.

I personally like the Yaesu VX-170 radio.... about $120 right now at Ham Radio Outlet. Waterproof... etc. Works wonders combined with this headset.

You can also contact "Baja Rudy"... he's into selling the headsets and radios as a complete unit as well.

Hmmm... I do like the looks of the plugs on the Helmetkits headset, Looks very easy to plug in. My only gripe with the Rocketmate headset is that the male and female plug ends need to be in line to connect. PITA with your helmet/gloves on trying to see where to line things up.

Cant go wrong with that Yaesu radio either, I've just had such good luck with Icom that I have no reason to change.

Good info all around:thumbsup:

I don't think the Icom radio is waterproof. That could be a problem if your riding in the rain. You can throw the yaesu in the river, and it will be fine. I have had my Yaesu fall off while I'm riding, and slide down the pavement for a hundred feet, and it was fine. The things are tough.

Hmmm... I do like the looks of the plugs on the Helmetkits headset, Looks very easy to plug in. My only gripe with the Rocketmate headset is that the male and female plug ends need to be in line to connect. PITA with your helmet/gloves on trying to see where to line things up.

I plug/unplug mine probably 20-30 times a day, same set up, with gloves and a helmet on. It's a piece of cake...then again, some people have problems witht the "male plug female plug" concept, especially in California! Haha...honestly though, you can do it by feel. I've even plugged in one handed while riding down the road, as I occassionaly forget to connect to the bike. I wouldn't let that setup deter you from buying it, really a minor issue. :applause:

I think you have to line up the arrow, in a DIN style plug with the other end. There's a right way...and a wrong way... where he's calling that a PITA, not the pictured style headset where it's Male/female and "plug and play".

Those DIN styles have 6 pins I think in them, and are surely a PITA when off-road or moving, let alone you can't see the connectors. I can't stand them... and are a waiste of good money for anyone wanting quality.

aha...I stand corrected. DIN plugs suck...I field tested a wireless headset, and it had DIN plugs. Wouldn't be worth their weight if they were made in gold.

Our helmets done by Bob Hynes at RLHCommunications.com. He is the former BFG radio relay coordinator for last 20 some years. Located in National City, Ca., on way to border. Good guy.:applause: :applause: :lol:

My turn.

My first headset was a Moto Comm. This is okay for your kids or wife. I really hate the 6 pin set up its such pain to line up each plug…especially on the fly. The quality is a little on the dull side as well.

Its kinda waist of money, but a fair back up for a buddy or when the good one fails.

My current headset is from PCI radios pricy ($200) but tuff as shit and the quality is as good as it gets for a dirt biker set up. Baja Designs sells the same set up for the same price.

The only thing I didn’t like from PCI is the PTT they supply with the kit. It’s a Velcro loop you hook up to you’re bars. I had to buy the Baja Dsg PTT because you can bolt it right up to your clutch clamp and its more of a heavy duty set up with a better tumb position.

And the VX170 gets my vote as well.:applause:

My turn.

My first headset was a Moto Comm. This is okay for your kids or wife. I really hate the 6 pin set up its such pain to line up each plug…especially on the fly. The quality is a little on the dull side as well.

Its kinda waist of money, but a fair back up for a buddy or when the good one fails.

My current headset is from PCI radios pricy ($200) but tuff as shit and the quality is as good as it gets for a dirt biker set up. Baja Designs sells the same set up for the same price.

The only thing I didn’t like from PCI is the PTT they supply with the kit. It’s a Velcro loop you hook up to you’re bars. I had to buy the Baja Dsg PTT because you can bolt it right up to your clutch clamp and its more of a heavy duty set up with a better tumb position.

And the VX170 gets my vote as well.:applause:

Agreed Eddie... the less pricey DIN style units (Pryme, Motocom...etc) are good for backup ONLY.

And PCI, RLH, RacerX and other's charge $199 or more. BajaD is $185. $15 less for a better PTT. :cry:

Great info brutha... thanks for sharing with these gents.

And Rob... Drop your radio?! Naaaa... not you!! :lol: It'd have to fall out of those camo cargo pockets on your shorts!! :applause:

I will also say don't cheap out. Get the high end microphone, ptt and ear pieces. I learned that one the hard way.

I have had the Icom for years and love it. BUT, with that said, the new Yasu is waterproof which is good if it starts raining while riding. That will be my next handheld. I use RLH (Bob Hynes) because we have been using him since I started using radios in Baja in early 80's (and countless racers including Mag 7, Baja Pits, BFG, now Baja Huskys and many other teams over the last 3 decades). The guy is that good for that long. Others are good too, he is just my personal choice. BFG wouldn't have kept him on for 20+ years and made him king dog of there off road radio program if he had been no good at what he does. Steny:ride:

I think you have to line up the arrow, in a DIN style plug with the other end. There's a right way...and a wrong way... where he's calling that a PITA, not the pictured style headset where it's Male/female and "plug and play".

The bayonet style connector is called a NEXUS connector...

Great info brutha... thanks for sharing with these gents.

Live, learn, and spend money that's the story of my life. Its money well spent though. I take my radios everywhere I go. Races play rides, Baja, even on road trips with the family (caravan).

Tips

Vacuum plug the ends when you're not using the headset. Mine is mounted on my helmet all the time. helps to extend the life if you protect it.

Be generous with the dielectric grease keeps it rust free and keeps dirt from doing a real number on it.