Sign in to follow this  

XR70 Anyone use spacer in forks to stiffen them up a bit? , or heavier wt. fork oil?

Trying to do this on a budget on my sons XR70.....Was told a 1" spacer in the rear may work out pretty nice. Has anyone put a spacer in the forks?, if so what size and were you pleased? Also would a heavier wt. oil help?

Or would a h/d springs front and rear work much better. Complete shocks are not an option...too expensive, trying to do this under $100.00

fork oil makes a difference, i would make sure the spring doesnt bottom out before the forks do. other than that go for it. read up on suspension tuning, specifically PRELOAD, it will explain exactly what you are doing(wrong). lol

now the spacer in the rear may not be as thought out yet but unless you have acess to a lathe its not going to work. you have to make the spring seat around something or it will just fall off. ive done it on a 50, for wheelies only i really liked the feel of the stock shock w/ preload spacer.

yea heavier oil will work better. and if you put a spacer on the stock spring on the shock it will blow the shock and make a big mess when the oil leaks out. you can buy the shock extenders off of ebay to make it sit higher but it will not stiffin the suspension any.

five0addict you are incorrect about a rear spacer a simple piece of pvc will add preload and the spring wont fall off as long as you put the spacer around the bottom of the shock.

I wouldn't make the spacer very thick. Or it wil blow the shock out first landing it takes. not so bad tho , it resulted in a fox float;) But i would just buy the BBR HD spring for the back and put some heavier oil in the forks if I was you.

On my 70 I run stiff springs up front w/ 3.3oz per fork of 20wt Bel-Ray and a FastAce rear shock w/o resi on the stock swingarm. I weigh 195lbs. Works good for me but I don't do any really big jumps.

I had a RCM/Staggs suspension setup on my 50 and I bent the frame once, broke my engine cases twice b/4 I got a cradle, and bent 2 footpeg mounts. I have not had that problem w/ this 70 even w/ the stock footpeg mount. So, apparently this suspension setup works pretty good for me.