YZ250 vs. deer

result of hitting a deer riding on 3rd gear powerband. didn't even see the thing. didnt even know what hit me til i was in the woods on side of the trail with the wind knocked out of me and the back tire spinning above my head.

deer2.jpg

deer.jpg

ordered a new radiator, new shrouds tonite. now i need some new graphics and clutch lever and my back to start feeling better. :applause:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're lucky you got up. Hitting a deer is like hitting a wall. I was also going through a trail 3rd pinned. It was a wide trail but there were holes and puddles so I had to constantly move around. I could go fast because I knew where all of them were. While I was going through I saw a little ways ahead a group of three deer. One jumped real high.. almost over the trail to the other side. I wasn't sure what the other two were thinking so I hit my rear brake hard and started to slide sideways. I came to a stop and one of them was just standing in the middle of the trail.. close call as I wasnt too far away from it.

A while back my riding friend had a KX85 and hit a deer going around a bend. He was carrying speed and wrecked the whole front of his bike. Luckily he didn't get hurt.

I think someone else from TT actually hit a cow.. imagine that.

i almost hit two elk on my old XR 250. scared me half to death. then i stopped like a mile down the trail to regain my composure and i looked to my right and left and i was sitting between a cow elk and its calf. i have never started my bike faster. i was outta there before the thing could chase me down.

i almost hit two elk on my old XR 250. scared me half to death. then i stopped like a mile down the trail to regain my composure and i looked to my right and left and i was sitting between a cow elk and its calf. i have never started my bike faster. i was outta there before the thing could chase me down.

a elk would be scary :applause:.

yeah it was like hitting wall. it actully felt like a hit a down tree out of nowhere. i couldnt even ride the bike home and i was about ten miles out. luckily i had some kids in a jeep that i just met following me out and one of the nice young ladies in the jeep happened to give me her number cuz when they passed i was lying in the woods on the side of the trail and they didnt even see me. it was a lot of ruts and whhoops in a trail with lots of tight small trees on the one side, so i had to kinda keep it on the pipe, the damn thing came outta nowhere. i usally try and look for them but damn. i guess i ended up being pretty damn lucky all in all.

With all the fuss about bikes being too noisy, it is amazing that animals don't hear you coming and get out of the way :applause:

You want scary? A couple years ago I came around a bend on a dirt road at about 45, and almost hit two adult black bears !!

Want even scarier? Last summer while trail riding, again around a corner, almost hit a Sow and her cub. These were brown bears (also called grizzleys).

I crapped my pants just a little on that one. :applause:

Also was charged by an Alaskan moose once. Had to ditch the bike and hide behind a tree. Nope, I am not making this stuff up. Just AK for you.

We have a heavily wooded loop that's about 40 miles long we ride allot. One day I was following a buddy, we were both in 3rd on a short straight away when a Buck ran between us. If my buddy had ben a little slower or I a little faster it would have been bad. He never knew it of course and that made me wonder how many close calls do riders have that they are never aware of. There are also some small hawks in our area that have learned to use the dirt bikes as a hunting tool. When we scare the little varmits they swoop down and nail em'. Pretty cool the way they have adapted to us being there.

Barry H

There are also some small hawks in our area that have learned to use the dirt bikes as a hunting tool. When we scare the little varmits they swoop down and nail em'. Pretty cool the way they have adapted to us being there.

Barry H

That's awesome. But those hawks are pretty smart. My hubby used to hunt with them. Said that if you keep a bird feeder and pigeons, sometimes you can get a resident hawk to 'feast' at your feeder.....I think that's pretty cool. But I am a warped person.

Thanks everyone for posting your stories. I guess I never really thought about hitting deer on my dirtbike....until now. Thank you.

i almost hit a deer once. I was on my 125 doing a 4th or 5th gear wheelie down like this dirt road. there was tall brush and trees and stuff on both sides of me. one dear was on the road and jumped into the brush way before i got down there, and right when i got to about the spot where the deer was another one just jumps out of nowhere. scared the living hell out of me, especially since i was going too fast to slow down in time :applause: :applause:

You're lucky you got up. Hitting a deer is like hitting a wall. I was also going through a trail 3rd pinned. It was a wide trail but there were holes and puddles so I had to constantly move around. I could go fast because I knew where all of them were. While I was going through I saw a little ways ahead a group of three deer. One jumped real high.. almost over the trail to the other side. I wasn't sure what the other two were thinking so I hit my rear brake hard and started to slide sideways. I came to a stop and one of them was just standing in the middle of the trail.. close call as I wasnt too far away from it.

A while back my riding friend had a KX85 and hit a deer going around a bend. He was carrying speed and wrecked the whole front of his bike. Luckily he didn't get hurt.

I think someone else from TT actually hit a cow.. imagine that.

"Ditto"

Except the deer, in my case, looked at me like I was:crazy: