Sign in to follow this  

|Why you need to make calls and mail letters

This was cut and pasted from the BRC website. Read this short article and you will realize just how important it is to make your opinion known.

GREEN MAIL - Public comments diverse; most favor more wilderness designation on the Allegheny National Forest

Sunday, January 21, 2007

By Ben Moyer

Wilderness is wanted.

That's a conclusion that can be gleaned, at least, from 8,285 official comments received by the U. S. Forest Service in response to its favored draft Allegheny National Forest management plan unveiled last year. When the USFS adopts a final version of the plan, the document will guide management of the Allegheny National Forest for the next 15 years.

According to the Friends of Allegheny Wilderness, headquartered in Warren, more than 6,800, More than 80 percent, of comments favored the designation of more wilderness areas within the forest. About 10 percent (875) of comments opposed additional wilderness designation.

Mary Hosmer, an ANF forester, put a finer point on the makeup of comments.

"We did receive 8,285 total comments," she said. "But we've identified 517 as unique and substantive. We identified more than 7,700 comments as form letters of different types. Some advocated more wilderness, some less. Some wanted more ATV trails, some less. Whatever someone wants more of here, somebody else wants less. There is competing interest for virtually every acre of this forest."

Read the entire article at http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755506-358.stm

I sure hope there is no reply's because you all are to busy writing them letters!

I sure hope there is no reply's because you all are to busy writing them letters!

Actually, I'm too busy trying to understand this damn article. Allegheny National Forest is one of the only great riding spots we have here in PA.

Want to explain it to me?

It is not very hard to understand. The forestry service is saying that they are listening to those that contact them. What the are hearing is the request for more Wilderness area in that part of the world. The forestry department is hinting that they are considering increasing the wilderness acres in your area. If you don't know, that means they take your riding area, and or parts of it and deem it Wilderness area. Once that happens, they close all the motorized trails, as per federal regulation for "wilderness". We have had millions of acres of desert closed in California for wilderness, and the first thing they do is gate, lock, and fence the area. They only way you can traverse through wilderness is via ankle power. Right now there is an attempt to get another 2 million acres added to the wilderness inventory in California alone. I was in a meeting recently where this is exactly what happened. Don't take my word for it, research for yourself. Why do you think there is an uproar over Senator Boxers "Wilderness Act"? Guess what, this bill effects the whole country, not just Calfornia.

The enviromentalists will not be happy until OHV is illegal. BTW, mountain biking is not aloud on trails in wildeness areas, nor is horseback riding. The enviromentalists want every acre they can get their greedy little hands on.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo