Sign in to follow this  

82 Kawi KDX 175

Have come across an 82 Kawi KDX 175 in great shape.

Has only 2000 miles on it.

Very well taken care of and is in complete running order. New back tire, gaskets, spark plug.

So questions

Parts availability?

Can they be made street legal (some pics on the net show signal lights etc)?

Length of production run?

Overall rep of this bike?

Asking price is a little steep $1500.00 Can, but man it is mint.

All input appreciated

Kicks

I had one for years. Great bike and put out decent power. It hauled my 220 lbs around with no effort.

Mine was mint also and I paid $200.00 for it. $1,500 sounds steep. Parts are hard to find because they only made them one year. Brakes sucked but it had good suspension. If it was under $1,000 buy it but not for $1,500.

• Like 1

They came stock with a little headlight, and a speck of a tail light. 1500 bucks is the asking price? Let him keep asking!

• Like 1

Thanks for the inpuy guys.

Rode the Bike yesterday, very nice. And the sellars is a cool guy, but, your remarks are very congruent with my research so far, limited parts availability and asking to much, even for show room type condition.

Thanks agains for posting fellas.:applause:

Kev

1st off they didnt make the bike only 1 year.......

2nd 1500 is way to much, it didnt even cost that back then.....

3rd parts are easy to find on ebay......

i owned a 1980 kdx175.....thing was a total peice of $hit but fun to ride. not sure if you can get pipes an silencers for them anymore. brakes did sucks when they got wet. i paied $250 and sold it a month later for $500

Hi abs600fzrr

Man, I sure have read and heard conflicting reports on this bike.

The production run was, as you indicatd, more than a year, it was form 1980 to 1983

Could you advise as to what issue you had with the KDX 175, beyond the brakes.

Much appreciated

Kev

kdx 175 was only made from 1980-1982. 1983+ were 200's

problems i has a blow rear mono shock, they dont have nitrogen bottles or anything, its just a spring. besides that mine had a KX250 kicker onit, nice big aluminum one helped with kicking, bars were bent, plastics were busted and cracked, wheel bearings were not front and rear, seat was way to sofa, i had a clark large capacity fuel tank on mine. road 35 miles and used like 1/3 of the tank if that. not sure what gearing mine had but you couldnt pull a wheelie if your life depended on it. 1st gear i could crawl like 1mph with out feathering the clutch. rear brake hubs were shot from running in coal mud for the last 25 years of its life with out new shoes, the metal go egged out from not mantaining the bike. front was the same way, just not as bad.

besides buying a bike that was black and never clearned for 5 years it was a good runner. i wouldnt have one as a main ride, i had some electrical problems with mine, started one day and next it didnt so we had to take off the engine kill switch. please remeber mine was beat to $hit, i stripped the entire bike and cleaned it up to see if i could get back into riding due to a prostate problem.

Thanks for the further response abs600fzrr

I am pretty sure the production run was 80 to and including 83.

This is something I would like to confirm definitively

Sounds like the bike you bought had been abused and/or not maintained. And as you stated it was a good runner even in said condition.

The bike I am still considering is cherry. Best one I have seen of its “vintage”, better than a couple KDX 200/220 I looked at.

Still is a steep price.

I sure like the weight, height, look and ride though.

I like 2 stokers over my 4Stroke bikes for some reason.

Maybe it is because what I started riding as a kid were all 2 Strokes.

Thanks again.

Kev

I owned one the only downfall is the electrofusion bore there ok if you dont score them as you cannot bore them out unless you get them re coated aka chrome bore and dont lean them out as you will have a nice hole melted in the piston before you know it if it has low kays and is in prestine condition eg no wiesco fitted they are a great bike i got good long use out of chain and sprokets with monoing and hillclimbing included but i owned one when you could buy super and standard at the bowser for the pre mix another downfall is unleaded fule is somthing these bikes were not desighned for but yea all up there are worse bikes out there for $1500

The kid selling decided not too several weeks ago.

So my search for a reliable trail bike continues for my size...(and my inability to make up my mind etc..)

My finacee rides the 125 (bougth for me but to small)

My 77 250 is a great smoker but I do not feel confident taking it deep in the woods.

But thanks for the post WIESCOED . :bonk:

Keep looking. There are usually a lot of KDXs out there, since they've been in production for 25 years now.

And give the kid a week or two and then call him up and see if he's changed his mind and lowered his price. $1500 was too much.

Keep looking. There are usually a lot of KDXs out there, since they've been in production for 25 years now.

And give the kid a week or two and then call him up and see if he's changed his mind and lowered his price. $1500 was too much.

He wanted $1700.00 Can. :naughty:

I decided to spend a little more for somethng less "vintage" and tonight I purchased a used 06 CFR230 :bonk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490552

Kev

Congrats! That bike will still be running when its considered vintage

Thanks man.

CRF 230 Great vintage material.:bonk:

There was a guy selling one of those around here not long ago, I went and looked at it. It came with a whole other bike, for parts. It wasn't in the best shape, but he sold them for $350 Canadian.

There was a guy selling one of those around here not long ago, I went and looked at it. It came with a whole other bike, for parts. It wasn't in the best shape, but he sold them for $350 Canadian.

lol

Always nice to get a parts bike in the deal

Here is my little brother ripping my stepdad around on his (then) brand new KDX175, back in 1982.....enjoy!!

ChrisWarrenKDX.jpg

Here is my little brother ripping my stepdad around on his (then) brand new KDX175, back in 1982.....enjoy!!

Very cool!

Best woods bike ever made, I have an 81. I can go almost as fast, maybe faster in the tight stuff as I can on my modern bikes. Difficult to restore the 175s though, the later watercooled 200s are far more common. You need to have a serious love for early 80s Kawis to deal with one of these. The newer 200s are great bikes too, a local A rider in our Hare Scramble series still races and wins on one.

My bike:

82 KDX 175.JPG