Sign in to follow this  

Definition for a newbie

Hello All,

I'm obviously a newbie. I just got an 86' XL600R which is in the shop getting 17" Sun rims, 4.25" rear & 3.5" front, along with fenders, tailight light, etc.

Would anyone mind defining SuperMoto/SuperMotard? I'm guessing SuperMoto is a full on race bike for track and SuperMotard is enduro with street tires, etc. I'm familiar with the Suzuki, KTM, Husqvarna street legal SMs, but not much else.

Thanks for any replys,

Nathan

They're both pretty much the same thing (tard-moto). The level of race-readiness is up to you! Anything can be a motard, pretty much... the basic idea- large displacement (usually) single cylinder dirt/off road bike that you ride on asphalt. Most people change tires, but not all change rims. Same with brakes...

Thanks! This is my first Motord style bike with power, and I'm still unsure as to how much money I want to dump into it. The thought of actually racing on a track is appealing so we shall see. Thanks again!

supermotard means super biker in french.

in the 70's someone in the usa made a series called the super biker series (or something like that) it was a contest to find the best all around riders from dirt track, motocross and road racing. it never really caught on in the usa, but it did in europe. its been big in europe since then. now its finally cool enough for the US again:applause: LOL.

and since us americans are lazy we leave off the end and call it supermoto

there is your quick history lesson.