Sign in to follow this  

What's an older steel-framed BBR CR80/XR100 conversion worth?

I'd like to get a few opinions on this bike I just came across. I'm thinking about buying it for my wife.

It's a '96 CR80 Expert chassis with an XR100 engine conversion. It was built by BBR in 2000. A new CRF100 engine was built by BBR (takegawa super head 115cc big bore kit) in December of '05. Owner has over $2400 in receipts for the engine and claims there are less than two hours on it (for whatever that's worth). Overall the bike seems pretty well put together from the description and few pictures I've seen. High-rise Pro Taper bars, raised Emig triple clamps, Pro Action suspension front & rear (recently rebuilt), Guts +3" seat, new sprockets front & rear and new chain, all new bearings around the whole bike, all new brakes, new tires, new fmf pipe and new front excel wheel.

I'm a little bit concerned about the chassis being so old and the fact that it has been ridden by an adult for the last seven years since it was built (who knows how hard). On the other hand, it might be exactly what I'm looking for if it's been well-maintained and isn't too beat-down. It's going to be about the same weight as a KX100 and I'm sure it will be a little slower, but the fact that it's a 4-stroke in a custom frame means I will probably be able to get a licence plate for it in OR pretty easily (registered as a custom). That wouldn't be possible with a KX100.

Should I pick this thing up for my wife if I can get it for $2000? What is it really worth? I'm going to have a friend go check it out for me tomorrow.

These are the only pictures I've seen so far. The owner doesn't have any receipts to document that the conversion was actually done by BBR. If I'm not able to verify that BBR built it, I'll just have to judge it on the quality of the conversion and I think that lowers the value of the bike considerably.

I called BBR and talked to Larry this morning. He offered to look at any pictures that I sent over and also that htey might be able to find a copy of the original invoice for the conversion if I can get him a little more information about the bike and the owner. I thought that was pretty great customer service! Thanks BBR.

cr80_xr100_1.jpgcr80_xr100_2.jpgcr80_xr100_3.jpg

I think 2 grand is a smoking deal for that bike. The rolling chassis alone is worth the price.

Before the crf150r came out, the coneversions were worth about $3000-$4000. But now that the 150 came out, the price has dropped in half. So about $1500 - $2000. Depending on year, motor, etc. I still might get another one if, the '08 150's aren't any better.

socalxr-

I was hoping you'd weigh-in on this subject. Any opinion on this bike in particular? Any other conversions for sale right now in the same price range? I've seen the classifieds on socalxrs.com. I'm not real interested in a 150 either, and would prefer to get my wife a clean conversion. I'd probably even buy her a KX100 before I'd get a 150.

There's one more I need to post on my site. I'll post it tonight. But the BBR does seem pretty sweet. You can stick a cr85 tank and shrouds on there with just some brackets to get it looking more up to date.

My buddy just checked this bike out for me and I'm about to seal the deal. Is the bike you're going to post anything that I should hold-off to see?

I drove down to Santa Cruz and picked that bike up on Friday and my wife rode it at Hollister Hills on Saturday. She LOVES it. I was kind of lukewarms about the whole deal, but wasn't going to back-out of the deal after driving over 500 miles to pick it up. The BBR-built exhaust system had been replaced with a ghetto exhaust that needs to be thrown out and re-built from scratch. The bike in general was looking pretty tired, which I kind of expected from a bike that was built in 2000. It's all there, it just needs some love. Good thing the engine is BRAND NEW and was built by BBR.