Sign in to follow this  

Can the XC feel as good as the WR?

Ever since my brother bought his 07 450xc, I’ve been wanting to get the same bike. However, last weekend I got a chance to ride my buddy’s Yama WR 450 with Race Tech suspension with heavier springs, golf valves and all that good stuff. Man! That suspension felt like what I’ve always imagined a perfect suspension should feel like. It was plush yet firm on landing. I was able to go over whoops so much faster than I’ve ever been. The bike felt really stable and well balanced.

Now to be fair, my brother’s XC is all stock in the suspension department with the exception of heavier rear spring. I know XC’s are more motocross than trail bikes so the suspension is not as plush on a stock bike.

Can the XC be made like what I’ve described above with a simple re-spring/re-valve job, in spite of the linkless rear suspension and it's "quirky geometry"?

Just wondering what you guys thought.

Ever since my brother bought his 07 450xc, I’ve been wanting to get the same bike. However, last weekend I got a chance to ride my buddy’s Yama WR 450 with Race Tech suspension with heavier springs, golf valves and all that good stuff. Man! That suspension felt like what I’ve always imagined a perfect suspension should feel like. It was plush yet firm on landing. I was able to go over whoops so much faster than I’ve ever been. The bike felt really stable and well balanced.

Now to be fair, my brother’s XC is all stock in the suspension department with the exception of heavier rear spring. I know XC’s are more motocross than trail bikes so the suspension is not as plush on a stock bike.

Can the XC be made like what I’ve described above with a simple re-spring/re-valve job, in spite of the linkless rear suspension and it's "quirky geometry"?

Just wondering what you guys thought.

My revalved SXF forks and resprung rear shock on my SXF works SO MUCH better than my reworked WR did, it's not funny. I ride off road only, also. So, yes, any susp set up by the right hands can perform superbly in the conditions it is set up for.

The suspension on the XCW is probably what you're looking for. What you describe as the ulitmate suspension on the WR is how I feel about the stock suspension on my xcf-w.

I got the xcw and love it. There is 2 thing syou can do. Spend a little more on the KTM or spend a lot more on the WR suspension. I have a CRF for a second bike and I have more than the bike value in it to get it were the KTM is stock. :applause:

IJust wondering what you guys thought.

I have a 06 450xc with all the goodies and a $1000.00 in suspension work. I recently rode the 07 WR 450 in the desert, it's pretty nice. I definately like the KTM motor better, it has more chug and their both short strokes. I owned two YZF's before my KTM, and I would not hesitate to but another one. I truly believe you can set up the suspension on Jap bikes much easier.

If you are a aggressive rider or racer you will probably re-work your suspension anyway regardless of what bike you buy.

Remember there is no perfect bike, just buy the one you like and you can make it work great.