Sign in to follow this  

How to ad an Ignition Key to a XR400?

Does anyone sell an ignition key setup for a xr400?

Anyone ever adapt one? I'm thinking using a stock XR650L...Hooking it to the kill switch or ignition system.

If anyone has instructions or ideas on how they did it, please share :-)

thanks

eb

All you have to do is find a good point to splice the kill switch. One before and one after the kill switch. So the ignition switch would run parallel to the other switch.

You could probably find a key operated electrical switch at electronic speciality type stores.

Haven't seen anything about where to mount one though, although I would put it somewhere close to where you access so anyone watching you won't see it and not obvious to passers by to "Hotwire" it. Maybe a little hidden where the odometer goes, get a little mounting plate and a sliding cover/box thing to protect it.

Just a few of my ideas.

I was thinking rear wheel lock. Kinda slows someone down from just wheeling it into the back of thier truck also.

Most key ignitions CONNECT in the ON position.

You need an ignition the CONNECTS in the OFF position.

Other XR riders have used ignitions from Lawnmowers, which connect in the off position.

BajaDesigns.com sells an ignition switch.

The other tactic is to mount a hidden switch that connects the kill switch.

For quick stops at low-crime areas, I use a master lock around the sprocket and chain. It barely fits and keeps the wheel from moving far. Also, less costly if you do the "Krypto Endo". (Forgetting to remove the disc lock.)

Kev your right. A regular ignition key will not work. With the key off, it will allow the kill switch dead and with the key it, it won't run since it will allow it to be active. So thats backwards.

I did some reading and found this recommendation earlier:

using a honda ignition set from approx early 200 crf50, xr70, etc

35010-GCF-A20

What do you guys think? I hope that switch it wired correctly

Erik

Most key ignitions CONNECT in the ON position.

Using a switch as described above, find power feed wire to coil, disconnect it from terminal and/or connector. Make your connection between the removed wire and the coil terminal. Don't recommend cutting anything, as for you may want to remove key switch someday.

EB,

Someone mentioned the Baja Designs key. I installed it on my 400, inconjunction with the dual sport kit (key switch is not included). The key kit comes with a mounting bracket and a crimp style, in-line splicer.

Cost was $29.95 part number 05-9168. I see the same BD part in Tucker Rocky, also.

I bought an ig switch from ATK when I got my speedo (they had them for like 15 bucks and I needed 25 to get to the minimum order anyway). It's cool, a barrel lock, and looks pretty hard to jimmy, and the best part is, I still had mount bracket off my SL 350 (I know ancient, haha) in a drawer in my dads workshop, and it fits perfect. Haven't mounted it yet though. Really hadn't figured it out ( not a high prioriy), but I think the power wire to the coil would work perfect.