Sign in to follow this  

Oil use

Hi i was just wondering i did a service on my 03 drz 400 tonight and found that it had used around 150ml of oil in 500k's the bike has done some pretty hard trips in that 500k's so it might be normal usage.I am using Belray thumper oil which i am happy with.I might be worried about nothing and the other thing is i might not have put enough oil in it the last service the bike blows no smoke and runs great with no visible leaks anywhere.

Hi i was just wondering i did a service on my 03 drz 400 tonight and found that it had used around 150ml of oil in 500k's the bike has done some pretty hard trips in that 500k's so it might be normal usage.I am using Belray thumper oil which i am happy with.I might be worried about nothing and the other thing is i might not have put enough oil in it the last service the bike blows no smoke and runs great with no visible leaks anywhere.

The 150 cc's are probably distributed thoughout the engine. I assume you drained the main reservoir, the crank case, and oil filter cavity.

At 6000 miles, I performed a complete service/inspection on my 06 S. I opened everything up (drained everything). When refilling with oil, it required 1900 cc as specified in the manual. The specs are as follows: 1700 cc for oil change, 1800 cc for oil and filter change, and 1900 cc for overhaul.:applause:

I would like to use a synthetic oil can someone point me in the best direction?

There are a several companies that manufacture synthetic motorcycle oil.

Silkolene, Mobil, etc.

I personally use Castrol Syntec (synthetic automobile oil). My choice is not desired by many. You can read up on the use of car oils in a motorcycle. It is a huge debate that boils down to lubricity additives(e.g. molybdenum) and clutch plate slippage. :applause: I change my oil/filter every 1000 - 1200 miles, so its pretty clean and the viscosity loss isn't that much.

Thanks for the help guys i think i have not put enough oil in it at the last service i put 1900ml in it now and she is right up where it should be i will keep a close eye on it now and see if it users anymore oil the bike has only done 4500k's so i am hoping it goes for a bit longer yet.

I would like to use a synthetic oil can someone point me in the best direction?

I reckon you cant go wrong as long as the base stock is PAO or Ester.

Currently using Amsoil