Sign in to follow this  

CRF450R Break-in Procedure

I've got an '03 CRF450 that I just replaced the piston and rings in. I understand that there are different theories on how to properly break in the new parts. Can someone shed some light on this subject or just point me to a thread that's already written? Can it be broken in sitting on the stand? What oil should I use to break it in?

I fire them up with non detergent 30wt oil for 1 heat cycle which is about 2-3 minutes on the stand at high idle with a fan blowing on the pipe and rads. After that its go or blow out of the driveway. The rings will seat in the 1st 30 seconds.

The manual and Honda mechanics will tell you to ride it moderately for 15 minutes, then let it cool off completely. Ride it for another 15 minutes and then drain the oil and refill. Do not do any full-throttle burnouts or bounce it off the rev limiter during breakin.

The manual and Honda mechanics will tell you to ride it moderately for 15 minutes, then let it cool off completely. Ride it for another 15 minutes and then drain the oil and refill. Do not do any full-throttle burnouts or bounce it off the rev limiter during breakin.

Yep.

Heat cycles settle in parts.

Some argue that pros/semi-pros takem out of the box and rip on 'em,

but remember they are most likely going to tear down the whole bike after each race etc.

I just brought mine to the track, raced 2 motos, changed the oil and filter and did 2 more. Not saying thats OK but it worked for me and many others. I have had no problems w/ my bike.

Heat cycle on stand. Let it completely cool, then take it for a 5-10 minute ride not going over 3/4 throttle. Let the engine braking/gears slow you down. After that WOT. This has been my method since i was a kid.

Ride it like you stole it. The bike was made for that. Do a search on break-in by Kelstr. He's the guru on how to break-in a motor.

And don't dwell on if Kelstr is right or not. He's been in this business for along time. Do it, DO IT!

That's a myth. Sorta like asking a new girlfriend to go all the way, 5 minutes after you met her. You EASE into things, not go all hot and heavy from the beginning.

Kelstr and Burned have outlined a proven crf break in procedure. That is what I will be using and am contemplating re-ringing and honing my unridden 07 450 to attain a proper ring/cylinder seal. The dealer has had it running as have I before reading their posts.

Mxken,

If you haven't ridden yet, I wouldn't worry about a new top end yet. Before you ride though, I personally wouldn't start it again unless your going to ride it.

Just like Kestr and Burned have said, let warm up to where the coolant starts purkulating (sic) out of the overflow tube. This allows the ring to have a tighter seal against the cylinder walls.

Then ride it like you stole it! It's worked for me. 2 brand new bikes and 3 top ends. No blow-by, no smoke, just pure horsepower. And the cylinders still had nice, clean and shiny hatch marks with no glazing at all on each top end rebuild. The only glazing I had of course was at the very top edge of the cylinder from where the piston reaches top-dead-center.The topends were performed after about 60 hours to 70 hours.

Let your bike warn up ,then ride at no more then 1/2 thottle on flat ground for 10-15 min ,and then 1/4-3/4 for 15-20 min. The rings should be sealed. I don`t have any blow-by.