KTM 125SX or 200 XC-W Opinions?

I have never owned a two stroke, but am in the market for one now. I can get a great deal on an 05 125 SX, or an 06 200 XC-W. Which one is better for occasional trail riding? I can get the 125 for about $1000 less. I am coming off a 05 400 EXC. Thanks for your opinions. Anyone out there that has ridden both? I would like to try them out before buying, but it is 10 degrees in ND, and about a foot of snow on the ground.

Thanks for your info. I am going to put money down on the 200 right away. Just can't wait to ride it!!

Congrats on your soon-to-be bike.

You'll love it. That's the same bike I've got. Flyweight, it is!

First thing you'll notice is how easy it is to throw around, especially in the tight gnarly stuff.

Then you may notice the power, and how it comes on the pipe hard. You can adjust the PV to change that if ya want (along withjetting changes if necessary.)

Right! A good aggressive rider can really fly in the woods with a 125 but he stated "for occasional trail riding" so I'm assuming he just wants to have a little fun on the bike. The 200 would be much easier to ride in that situation.

I have ridden both and own the 200. I would definetly go for the 200. The power isn't like anything you've probally ridden before. Once you get used to the bike you'll be able to fly on it or put around either way they dont call them 2 smokers for no reason.

Definitely the 200.

I rode my son's 125SX on the trails once. Although it was fun, I had to keep rev'd too high to enjoy myself.

After I got him a 200XC, it was much better. Low end like a 250 (not as much, but pretty close) and still as light and nibble feeling as his 125.

I know he likes his 200XC a lot better than the 125SX.

I ride a 125sx for cross-country and harescrambles. it is such a sweet bike. Its a 2003 and I rode an 07 200, very similar in my opinion. The 200 will have more snap and more power down low. I think my 125 is more fun to ride because you can stay on the pipe all the time. Too bad I'm selling it soon :applause:

:applause: now that is a problem. i've have/had both although the 06 125sx is still in the garage. all i can say is ..wow!!! this bike really moves..fast!! I've been to the desert with it and it feels just as fast as my 525 mxc 05. i loved the 200 a 98..hey the suspension on it was superb..just did the clickers and used 2.5 wt fork oil and set it around 5.5 in from the top. the 125sx on the other hand is totally stock and the suspension works real well..i'm around 200 with gear. the bike puts the grins on your face as soon as you light it up....it's a rocket!! enough said..both bikes are super fun and with an additional 1K in your pocket ya get my drift? ?

For me, ktm's 200 is a handfull on its own..... That thing is like a mildly weak 250. I've always ridden small bore 2 and 4 strokes. I think if you were going to occassionally trail ride, you'd do pretty good on that 125. Talk about light, about 10 less than the 200. But, you are coming from a big bore 4 stroke, so you'll probably be used to that power. (from the 200) good luck. Me, i'm waiting for my 144 sx to come in. been on order for about 6 months.

• 8 months later...