Sign in to follow this  

125 Super Stroker!

This is meant for entertaiment value only.... there is the possibility this would work, but would need an experienced engine builder and or machinist and possibly a magician to get it right. With guess work and a little experience says you would prolly need bigger valves a race profile cam (it would be a little more mild in the bigger engine) and whatever carb is bolted to the ttr 225 (ballpark estimate) piston skirts may need to be clearanced and piston to valve clearance would have to be checked. Add a great exhaust system and that should give you an idea of what you MIGHT need to pull this off. And it still might be a grenade!

Ok disclaimer out of the way!

Stock bore 57.0 stock stroke 48.8

"Powrol" offers the 170cc stroker kit using the wiseco piston 61mm bore. ( says the 11:1 piston is used in the stroker kit and you can read the part number in the pic) So using Wisecos's handy dandy calculator we get an approx stroke of 58.0 = 169.5cc

"Engines only" offers a 190 (187.8) kit that is a bore (sleeve) only so with the stock stroke that gives a bore of 70.0 = 187.8cc

So if combined you would have a bore of 70.0 and a 58.0 stroke and we get 223.21cc Hee Hee :applause:

Do you need any more proof that a little information is a dangerous thing?...lol

If they work separately they should work together all your really doing is increasing the bore on the 170 kit. But I wonder how far the stock rod will be pushed before it turns itself into a set!!

It has been done. It is just expensive. I know of a guy in Australia running a DR100 bored and stroked out to 272cc. You could also just swap in a DR200 motor or a QuadSport LT230 motor. All the Suzuki single cam air cooled 2 valve singles share the same basic engine design and similar castings.

Now thats good information! Do you know whats required to get them to bolt in if anything? Maybe I can find one at a cycle salvage. Is it cheaper to rebuild an older 200+ or try to make the 125 perform like a 200+? BTW for me it's just for fun so no track rules for me to worry about. Completely for grin factor.

Well, the 160/185/200/230 version of this motor is about 1/2" taller so the top motor mount brackets would have to be modified. Some versions have an electric starter mounted at the front of the engine so the front down tube on the frame would have to be modified. There would probably be some other clearance issues. I would expect there would be limited space for the bigger carb that the 200s use.

It is probably easier and cheaper to swap in a good 200 motor than to make the 125 run like a 200.

One bike I'd like to build would be the DRZ125 with an e-start DR200 motor, RM85 forks and shock. This would be a great little woods bike for my wife!

Hmmm E start sounds good moving and or fabricating brackets should be fun. It would be worth it though,faster and reliable. I may have a line on a kdx200 motor but I'm sure it would be a lot more work to install. So I will start hunting for a 200+ and see what turns up. Any Kawi motors fit the bill? Might make finding one a little easier. Maybe even an old street bike version (I'm thinking bigger...lol). I know when I call they are gonna want a specific model.... I may just need to go down there and poke around cause if I tell them what I want it will just get more rare and expensive! When I could prolly get the whole heap cheaper than the motor.

This is a good shot of the frame difference. Do a search for an 06 dr200 then blow it up to large and you can see it. Bet those frame connector ($85.00) will fit the 125...well maybe. But the mount ($28.27) looks like it would swap over.

http://www.bikez.com

PS someone check out the mid 80s klr 250 and 600 and tell me Im crazy so I can stop thinking about it!

norcalklx, you have done 2 of ? DR200 conversion, or stroker motor?

Does anyone think its a coincidence that the dr200's crank has a stroke of 58.2 mm hmmm if it fit in the 125 case it would make it a 170.09 with a 61 mm bore...... Yam of troy shows the assembly for $260.20 retail

powroll stroker with a big bore 190 piston. We have made them bigger and smaller, right know we are making custom 150 motors that we are hoping to make around 16-18 hp or at least enought to run with xr100s that have the kitaco 145 kit.

you can make the 190 kits run really good too the big plus about strokers is there is more torque my 190 bike would walk on the 223 we built on top but get pulled by about half a bike on bottom. but my 190 makes around 23hp and i did'nt have to split the cases.There is quite a few different motor configuations you could go with but the engines only kit is the best bang for the buck. Just my .02.

Does anyone think its a coincidence that the dr200's crank has a stroke of 58.2 mm hmmm if it fit in the 125 case it would make it a 170.09 with a 61 mm bore...... Yam of troy shows the assembly for $260.20 retail

The 200 crank will fit in the 125 case but it isn't as simple as that. The 200 crank has a bigger diameter spline for the primary drive gear. The 200 drive gear won't mesh with the 125 driven gear. The 200 clutch basket won't fit on the 125 mainshaft. You would have to swap in the crank, clutch and complete transmission. You would also need the taller 200 cylinder. After I got that much figured out I stopped comparing internal parts.

Thats what I was afraid of but the torque is what I want. Anyone have a 200 motor for sale? or know of a salvage yard that might have one? Is the older 250 based on the same crank case? it looks similar and more plentiful.

I have read many posts that suggest buying a bigger bike, but I don't want a bike any larger than this. I'm on the balls of my feet on this one! And at my age I'm more likely to shrink than grow...lol I also like the lighter feel of the bike.

I believe the 250 is altogether different. A small version of the DR350 motor.

Ok Thanks pro, I may have a line on an LT230 (whole) should I expect to have to experiment with prockets assuming :applause: the 4 wheeler engine is geared a little lower? Plus a small overbore prolly gonna need it anyways should push it over 250 anyways.

Check out the LT230 motor closely. I think you would only want the QuadSport version. Other models have the automatic clutch. Some may be pull-start or kick forward or have shaft drive.

Yea semi auto, gonna continue the hunt for a 200 should be plenty. Too much without some new forks! (my elbows are killing me...lol)

After much thought and a great thread by dr drz I have decided that going faster without doing the suspension is well NUTS! The thing lands like a bmx well a little better... and I have found a near mint 2000 kx100 sooooo I am thinking I can part out the rest to help offset the purchase wish me luck! Now I have to borrow a welder to weld brackets on the bike I traded my welder for! :applause: