Sign in to follow this  

At what point is it not work fixing?

Well, what started as a routine top-end replacement on my '90 RM250 has found that my cylinder is scored, my crank has some slop to it and on top of that my forks and brakes need to be completely rebuilt. I don't want a new bike but if I get another it will probably be older since I can run Vintage/Bomber class and the older 2-stroke MXer's make great trail bikes also. I just don't know if it's worth dropping a grand on it. :applause:

Any running rm250 is going to run you $750 at least and then it's 'used' and you don't know anything about it so you could then end up with the same thing all over again.

It sounds like the RM is not your bike of choice right now, and you really want something which is older so you can vintage race it. If that's the case, sell the RM as is, be honest about the bike, and ask a reasonable price. You will be surprised at how many people will want to take that bike off of your hands and fix it knowing what they are starting out with. I have advertised bikes like this and have sold them very quickly! Then when you sell the RM, take the money and get an older bike from another honest person, and put your thousand or less into it. That way you will know exactly what your new bike is. Make sense?

I may hold onto it and fix it later and pick up a Vintage bike to run now. I have a line on a very nice 70's Honda Elsinore 125 in the sub $400 price range, and it's ready to run. If I do that I can get the RM built slowly over the summer and build it right.

Well the RM getting the full tilt rebuild.

With a new top and bottom end on the motor, forks completely redone, brakes completely redone, new, chain, sprockets,tires, there's not too much left so I might as well go all the way.

Today's update full extent of the damage, The amazing part is that it was still running well, it was just getting hard to start.

1) Scored Cylinder

2) Bent Rod

3) Twisted Crank

Anybody sell a full build kit???