XR250 motor in an XR200 frame

Lanz has gone and messed up my plans! I was planning on a CRF230 though I never liked the idea of electric start on such a small, low compression bike. It's like taking a 15 pound dumbell on every ride. But the 200, while a great engine, just doesn't have the low end grunt I need for some of the riding I do. And I love the four valve head on the XR250. However, the XR250 is just too big and heavy for crappy riding skills. Guess I'm hard to please. And I always like a good project.

I saw that Lanz is modding XR200s with XR250 motors. Perfect! Low end grunt plus kick start. But I'm wondering :applause: which motors are compatible with which frames. Will it only fit in an '85 frame? What are the issues of putting that motor in a later frame? Like a '99 or '00 since they are easier to find. Do all XR250 motors have the same attachment points?

Keep Ridin'

John

I saw that Lanz is modding XR200s with XR250 motors. Perfect! Low end grunt plus kick start. But I'm wondering :applause: which motors are compatible with which frames. Will it only fit in an '85 frame? What are the issues of putting that motor in a later frame? Like a '99 or '00 since they are easier to find. Do all XR250 motors have the same attachment points?

Keep Ridin'

John

I'm sure that Lanz is the subject matter expert here, but I'm pretty sure that the 1984 and 1985 XR200Rs are the only bikes that the XR250 motor will fit in without a bit of a fight. The early XR250Rs and and 1984 and 1985 XR200Rs were dual carb.

Your 200 is a fine trailbike in need of a little more suspension and power. Older suspension bits are cheap and much better than the stuff on your bike. A torque cam will wake the motor up.

It's always more fun to build than buy. :applause:

"O"

What about a xr250 motor in a early cr250 frame? (1996 and down) My buddy built one in a 125 frame and it was extremely fun.

Older suspension bits are cheap and much better than the stuff on your bike. A torque cam will wake the motor up.

"O"

Wonder why Honda dumbed down the suspension on the newer XR200s?

Will the torque cam affect reliability or ease of starting?

JB

Wonder why Honda dumbed down the suspension on the newer XR200s?

Will the torque cam affect reliability or ease of starting?

JB

I doubt a torque cam will hurt starting. A hi-comp piston hurts the kickstarter gear. My 2002 kickstarter gear is already tired.

My guess is Honda wanted a "wife bike" lower than the earlier bikes so they dumbed the suspension down a bunch.

"O"

The XR200R was full size, but guys didn't want a 200, and Honda had nothing between it and the litttle 100. When they dropped it down to mid size for women and kids sales went through the roof. Kind of left a small group of us out.................but hey, at least we can put it back to how we liked it pretty darn easy!:applause:

Old Jeff went on a ride with some guys once and a guy asked him , "is that your wifes bike"? By the end of the ride and Jeff waiting for him at every stop, the guy never said another word!

Question, anyone know how much that XR250 engine weighs?

Old School Al

Hmmm if you cold fit an XR250 engine into an 81-83 XR200 chassis I might try that next year. I'll have to do some research and see what the deal is.

Hmmm if you cold fit an XR250 engine into an 81-83 XR200 chassis I might try that next year. I'll have to do some research and see what the deal is.

That may be more difficult as the 81-83 is not a cradle frame. The junkyard by me has about 15 1984-2002 stripped XR200 frames. I bet they'd be happy giving one away.

I got a CR500 frame for cheap, robbed the front end, stuck a 99 XR600 front on it, and am prepping it for an XR200 motor. The 500 chassis is very roomy... there'll be no cutting of the frame to make room, and with all the people robbing CR500 motors to make CR500AFs, there's lots of spare frames around.

I'm planning on keeping the XR200 motor mild (budget, ya know) and expecting the frame/suspension/brakes to be complete overkill for the engine. The idea is that the wife will "grow" into it from her 2002 XR200 now.

Finding a donor motor is more difficult than originally imagined. My best bet so far was a 1980-something XL185 for $500.

Anyone have anything good to say about those $350 Lifan XR200 clones?

"O"

Anyone have anything good to say about those $350 Lifan XR200 clones?

"O"

YEAH, help us fight "The Wal Mart Effect" ....................don't buy one!!!:applause:

Old School Al

I have access to almost anything I need for fabrication, except a lath and mill, I also have the knowledge. I may try to rework my frame and build the cradle section for it and weld it on to make this work. It would give me more power with the lighter bike. But like someone else asked above how much does the 250 motor weight and how much does the 200 motor weight, also what are the frame differences. I am planning on a XR250 front end on my 200. Adding the motor is just a thought and may or may not happen. Why do I bother to do any of this you ask? I got the bike for free, have about $300 in it and have ridden it. I do have some oil issues which I am currently taking care of. I have a thread going about my build up if anyone cares to read it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392494

I have access to almost anything I need for fabrication, except a lath and mill, I also have the knowledge. I may try to rework my frame and build the cradle section for it and weld it on to make this work. It would give me more power with the lighter bike. But like someone else asked above how much does the 250 motor weight and how much does the 200 motor weight, also what are the frame differences. I am planning on a XR250 front end on my 200. Adding the motor is just a thought and may or may not happen. Why do I bother to do any of this you ask? I got the bike for free, have about $300 in it and have ridden it. I do have some oil issues which I am currently taking care of. I have a thread going about my build up if anyone cares to read it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392494

I think it's a great idea to put a 250 in your 200 frame. Once you have that pesky XR200 motor out, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. :applause:

"O"

The junkyard by me has about 15 1984-2002 stripped XR200 frames. I bet they'd be happy giving one away.

Any way I could pick one of these up? I live in Alabama. Could I contact them and see if they'd be willing to pack one of those frames up and send it my way? I'd even be willing to pay... a little.

Keep Ridin',

John

1984 and 1985 XR200R is the only frame you can bolt in a XR250. Any other and you have to get the torch out( and more beer). THe long top rear bolt does not line up so I left it out since it had a full craddle frame. The top rear bolt is what the motor hangs from in no cradle frames. You can put pre 1992 forks and shock on newer XR200 and get it back to adult size. I dont like Lifan engines, A good rebuilt Honda will run years more than one for the same price. My conversion is perfect for technical tight woods. I would add a 18 rear wheel though. Much better tire selection too! I can ride all day on it . My 89 XR250 would have me looking for a road back to truck after 20 miles of knarly woods. You do not need a rear disk brake either. Torquey XR250 motor will engine brake 90% of the effort.

One more thing, 1986 thrugh 1994 XR250 engines is all that fits. I think 1995 or 96 they went with swingarmbolt rear mount system. You have to cut out rear swingarm and do allot of work.

Any way I could pick one of these up? I live in Alabama. Could I contact them and see if they'd be willing to pack one of those frames up and send it my way? I'd even be willing to pay... a little.

Keep Ridin',

John

I think they do mail order/phone order stuff. There's a bunch of frames, I think the newest is 1990, and has the swingarm attached. I've pulled the forks off of it and they're on my 200 now. If you're interested I can swing by there on Saturday and see what I can find and take a pic or two.

BOISE MOTORCYCLE SALVAGE - 4735 Chinden Blvd. - Boise, ID 83714

Phone: 208 375-7949 - Phone: 1-800-365-7949 Fax: 208 376-7949

"O"

Thanks for the offer but what I really want is a frame similar to mine. Get a torch, do the appropriate cutting, then fit the motor into place and weld in the necessary attachment points. Then I can just swap everything over from my '99. I like the late model bikes because there are plenty of OEM replacement parts available on BikeBandit and places like that. Everyone keeps talking about making the bike tall like the older ones. I like mine short. Putting on an 18" rear tire will raise the rear an inch which is just about exactly what I'm looking for. And the kind of riding I do just doesn't need 9 inches of suspension travel. Wish I had access to that junkyard!

Hi, does the lighter frame of the 200 have less strength ?

Espically with the boxed rear frame of the rear disc 250 versions ?

The 250 swingarm is beefier as well, better shock too.

Im had my 250R for 12 years now. Great trailbike, very quick in the tight going, bit slow for the open now

I have a 200 in a 99 YZ250 chassis, for MX

honduki

Thanks for the offer but what I really want is a frame similar to mine. Get a torch, do the appropriate cutting, then fit the motor into place and weld in the necessary attachment points. Then I can just swap everything over from my '99. I like the late model bikes because there are plenty of OEM replacement parts available on BikeBandit and places like that. Everyone keeps talking about making the bike tall like the older ones. I like mine short. Putting on an 18" rear tire will raise the rear an inch which is just about exactly what I'm looking for. And the kind of riding I do just doesn't need 9 inches of suspension travel. Wish I had access to that junkyard!

The 1986-2002 frames are 100% identical. The junkyard also has 5 or 6 1984-1985 frames. If memory serves one has a 1984 bottom end still in it. There's also a bunch of early 80s XL185s, some XL125s, and a few XR200s.

Sadly, the XR section is picked pretty clean. I was there last week and there's only one or two more fork sets, a shock or two, and some frames.

There's a pile of 18" wheels from both early 80s XR200s and late 80s XR250s but the shipping would be more than it's worth.

"O"

I would grab a 84 or 85 frame if available in a heartbeat. Shiping seems to run about $1 a pound. It is still several days work tinkering getting everything in. Save the 99 xr200 bike or sell it to fund this project. XR200's still bring top dollar. I may have a set of 1985 front forks and wheels. If you start now you can round up a seat and tank and airbox in a month or two. Midway Cycle can get new aftermarket seat covers for under $40. NATRA gets you 10% off there too. Midway has forkseals and brakes in stock too. I would get one of those import Jetson mufflers from ebay too. Midway bored to 277 big bore on cyl. , cam chain came in today so tomorrow it all goes in.

http://gelanz.com/wp250b.html

I have started a new post on this subject, but this thread here seems to be somewhat related to what I am hoping to learn... I can't find frame dimensions anywhere, just seat heights... I am hoping to learn if a 1989 XR200R engine would fit relatively easily into a 1989 NX 125 Frame... also if any other parts are potentially interchangeable. I see from comparing the specs I have been able to find there is an approximate 2" difference in seat height between the two, but that's not any help because that's likely due to suspension differences... 

Anyone know where I can find details on frame dimensions and angles etc.?

Just trying to get a sense of how much customization will be required to get these two bikes compatible as I'm not a welder / fabricator, but I can take things apart and put them back together!

Thanks if anyone can help.