START OR JOIN RIDING CLUB? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

can some one explain differences in rekluse clutches and slipper clutches?

i was wondering if anyone can explain how a rekluse auto clutch works and how a slipper clutch works and there differences,i have been curious about them for a while ,but know nothing about them.thanks

A "Rekluse" clutch is a centrifugal clutch. Once engine speed reaches a certain RPM (which you can adjust) the clutch engages and drives the motorcycle. As engine speed increases, the clutch engages more firmly. Once engaged, it is not intended to slip unless the engine RPM drops below the engagement point.

A "Slipper clutch" is a clutch that is intended to slip all the time, usually to control wheel spin. It can be engaged by RPM or springs or both. A really advanced one will be computer controlled.

A 3rd type of clutch is a "back-torque limiter". It is more or less a standard clutch when driving forward (engine driving the wheel). But when the wheel is dragging the engine the clutch slips so the engine braking does not apply so much braking force. You see these in road race applications so down shifting does not lock up the rear wheel or cause wheel hop.

"Rekluse" is a brand name. "Slipper" and "back-torque limiter" clutches are sold under various names. Names are not always concise. Sometimes a "back-torque" clutch is called a "slipper" clutch.

• Like 1

I appreciate you explaining that to me,i have been curious for a while about them,just never had it explained to me.are any of these an advantage on a sm bike?do sm guy's gravitate towards one more then the other?and which would be better for street riding?thanks again

well as i have brought one (rekluse clutch and brake) and have it sitting in my bedroom i can say i am in two minds of though about it

frist i thought it was a great idea but then i went on and thought a bit more(after spending the moeny of course) and right now i am still on the fence i havent put it on yet cos i dont want to lose my clutch (and i will when i put it on)

i got mine for different reasons than most i am a amputee on the left side so i wanted it so i could change gaers and then put my right foot down(i have to use it to change gears cant do it on left side) so the rekluse would allow me to put bike in frist stop at lights and put right foot on the ground and not have to hold in clutch while waiting as the rekluse would disengage automaticlly then all i had to do to go again was power on and it would engage and i would be off.

the added beift i was going to get was with there left hand rear brake lever i would now have both brakes on my bars and only have to do gears with right foot anf not do brakes and gears (which i now do with the one foot)

as to weather to buy one or not i guess it comes down to can you live without yr clutch cos with the rekluse you dont get one thats no bump starts no engine braking down hill9unless you rev up engine which defeats brake going down hill slowly) no slip clutch wheelies etc etc so there you have it.

a great idea and i belive the way all bikes will be in less than 20 years but one that still has a number of issues to iron out.

well as i have brought one (rekluse clutch and brake) and have it sitting in my bedroom i can say i am in two minds of though about it

frist i thought it was a great idea but then i went on and thought a bit more(after spending the moeny of course) and right now i am still on the fence i havent put it on yet cos i dont want to lose my clutch (and i will when i put it on)

i got mine for different reasons than most i am a amputee on the left side so i wanted it so i could change gaers and then put my right foot down(i have to use it to change gears cant do it on left side) so the rekluse would allow me to put bike in frist stop at lights and put right foot on the ground and not have to hold in clutch while waiting as the rekluse would disengage automaticlly then all i had to do to go again was power on and it would engage and i would be off.

the added beift i was going to get was with there left hand rear brake lever i would now have both brakes on my bars and only have to do gears with right foot anf not do brakes and gears (which i now do with the one foot)

as to weather to buy one or not i guess it comes down to can you live without yr clutch cos with the rekluse you dont get one thats no bump starts no engine braking down hill9unless you rev up engine which defeats brake going down hill slowly) no slip clutch wheelies etc etc so there you have it.

a great idea and i belive the way all bikes will be in less than 20 years but one that still has a number of issues to iron out.[/quote

thank you that is good info,i hope it works well for you.

The Rekluse for DRZ400's retains the clutch lever for mechanical disconnect of power. It is designed to be fully engaged @ around 2400 engine rpm(no tach, so I can't verify).One question is: does one need compression breaking below 2000 rpm in a given gear? I don't know about use for cluch-up wheelies, but again, you might be able to use a combo of lever /auto engagement. No bump start is for sure. Operating one would be the best indicator of whether or not you can adapt to the difference. Or if it suits your needs.