Sign in to follow this  

Legal ramifications of selling a non-legal but street-titled bike?

Has anyone thought about the liability of selling a non-street legal bike that happens to have a street title? Is there any?

For example, say you have a two-stroke motocross bike that lacks lights, horn, turn signals, etc., all the stuff it would need to be legal for the street. However, it has a street title that allows it to get plated in your state just by visiting the local BMV, showing them the title and paying the fee. If someone took the street title, got a plate, rode the bike on the street and then either a) got a ticket, :applause: got rear-ended or c) otherwise crashed because of the lack of lights, etc., would you end up working for them for the rest of your life?

Would you be OK if when you sold it, you told them that you took all the street stuff off that you used for the conversion but just didn't bother to re-do the title?

Would you be OK anyhow because they should have known better?

Does it make you more liable if you had the title converted from a dirt title to a street title yourself (that is, didn't buy it already converted from another party)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Until about 1990, you could request a title from the dealer with any new bike purchase here in Ohio. I used to take last year's 2 stroke Husky racer and throw some lights and a plate on it and ride it to work. I think as long as you notified the buyer that you took the stuff off (or never had it in the first place), you would be OK. Titles for dirt bikes were replaced by "origin slips" that usually had "not for highway use" on them.

I'm not a lawyer, but from past experiance buying & selling other motorized "things" here in the over-regulated great state of Kalifornia that may or may not have been legal for street registration, that wonderful phrase "sold as is" appearing in the bill of sale releases you from all liability & representations not appearing in writting for that vehicle.

IMO it'd be unethical & perhaps immoral not to inform the buyer, but when push comes to shove in a court of law, "as is" means as is.

Since you aren't the manufacturer the buyer cannot hit you on liability. If you represented to him that it IS street-legal, not merely plated then he would have a civil case and perhaps you could be persued on fraud but very unlikely.

Yep, what hodaphile said. It's how you represent the sale. You're selling it as a street bike. If the state decides it isn't..........you could be on the hook. Change the wording when selling, put it in writing. I watch Peoples Court!

Oh, and Craig, we lost one. Kevin bought a Harley 2 weeks ago. Got him one of those brain bucket helmets and everything. It's so sad.

notice the state he is in. how do you guys know what illinois law is???????

Look at our signatures AMG, we have hundreds and thousands of posts. This qualifies us as experts in any topic motorcycle related...........just ask us!

Look at our signatures AMG, we have hundreds and thousands of posts. This qualifies us as experts in any topic motorcycle related...........just ask us!

then if you are an expert on everything how did i get a plated bike? what dmv did i do it at? what city do i live? are my tires bald? if so which one? how many bikes do i own? :applause:

i mean if you are an expert in everything then in fact you should have an answer to every one of my above ?'s. :lol:

just because you are a post whore means nothing. it means you have little or no time to go riding because you are whoring it up imho. :applause:

Listen up Mr. 111 posts. You already know the answers to each of the questions you asked. Ask me something you dont know.

Now let me get back to helping those receptive to my vast and varied catalogue of knowledge. :applause:

Geezus, who asks if their tires are bald, I mean really?:applause:

Listen up Mr. 111 posts. You already know the answers to each of the questions you asked. Ask me something you dont know.

Now let me get back to helping those receptive to my vast and varied catalogue of knowledge. :applause:

one again you are missing the point. YOU DONT KNOW everything. Nor do I for that matter. whether i choose to have 111 posts in over a year is my business. i have a life. well not tonight but i do have a life.

giving a person advise in a different state that you dont even live in is a bit of a stretch dont you think? be honest with yourself. we can tell him all about the cali laws which mean nothing to him. heck they dont even have the basteridddizzzed CARB in that state. it might be ok for them not to have something we dont have. isnt it a possibility??? maybe being 40 has went to my head and made me realize no one knows everything. i guess it is a flaw.

Personal attacks (e.g., name-calling, judgmental "labeling," etc.) don't contribute to discussion of the issues raised, in my view.

Also, satire and irony play to mixed reviews on websites like this one. Unintended offense may be taken from innocent remarks made jokingly.

Hard to undo offense taken, as in, "He doesn't MEAN that, literally; he's only KIDDING!" Even if proven thus, resentment may remain in place.

So, I'd hope for civil discussions, maybe with some slack for satire and irony as attempts at humor, but . . . do what you gotta do, pilgrims!

And, yeah; I know; if I'm so smart, why am I sometimes a magnet for personal attacks? :applause: :applause: :lol:

Oh, finally; the ISSUE. Please contact my legal advisors, Judge Judy and that cockamamie Florida judge in the Anna Nicole Smith case, for a comprehensive and valid opinion on this thread's question.

then if you are an expert on everything how did i get a plated bike? what dmv did i do it at? what city do i live? are my tires bald? if so which one? how many bikes do i own? :lol:

i mean if you are an expert in everything then in fact you should have an answer to every one of my above ?'s. :cry:

just because you are a post whore means nothing. it means you have little or no time to go riding because you are whoring it up imho. :applause:

Someone either needs:

a.) less coffee

b.) more coffee

c.) a sense of :censored:ing humor

d.) any combination of a or b + c.

Geez, dude, lighten the :applause: up. :cry:

then if you are an expert on everything how did i get a plated bike? what dmv did i do it at? what city do i live? are my tires bald? if so which one? how many bikes do i own? :lol:

i mean if you are an expert in everything then in fact you should have an answer to every one of my above ?'s. :cry:

Jezzus dude, he was JOKING. Get a clue. :applause:

If you want legal advice ask, and pay, a lawyer who is admitted to the bar in your state. I would not rely on anything that you have head here. That's my advice. My opinion is that you don't have too much to worry about, but it's just my opinion.

On a completely different topic, sarcasm doesn't usually work on the internet. It's one of those things that does not translate well to a written post. This is especially true for people that you don't know you. I've seen numerous of Keithco's posts and I know his posting style, so if he does it to me, I know not to go flying off the handle.

If you want legal advice ask, and pay, a lawyer who is admitted to the bar in your state. I would not rely on anything that you have head here. That's my advice. My opinion is that you don't have too much to worry about, but it's just my opinion.

Oh, for sure, just trying to initiate a little informal discussion about it. It seems like a third of the posts in here deal with aftermarket conversions. I just figured that someone has had to have considered this issue before.

My personal non-educated guess is that this would be the same as selling a car with a busted tail light, no horn, etc.

That and a blanket liability policy, which everyone probably should have anyhow, should make you good.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Come on, every now and then we get a live one, we're jus' funnin' him Uncle Jed!:applause:

Yep, what hodaphile said. It's how you represent the sale. You're selling it as a street bike. If the state decides it isn't..........you could be on the hook. Change the wording when selling, put it in writing. I watch Peoples Court!

Oh, and Craig, we lost one. Kevin bought a Harley 2 weeks ago. Got him one of those brain bucket helmets and everything. It's so sad.

So does he ride up front on BoB? :applause: Check this out, one of our customers on Biker Buildoff last night - now that's a bike I'd ride on the street! The green bike was on the show

http://www.fullerhotrods.com/Galleries/galleriesview.aspx?action=default

then if you are an expert on everything how did i get a plated bike? what dmv did i do it at? what city do i live? are my tires bald? if so which one? how many bikes do i own? :applause:

i mean if you are an expert in everything then in fact you should have an answer to every one of my above ?'s. :lol:

Did you want that silver-plated, gold-plated, cad-plated? And any advice given is absolutely, positively guaranteed or I will refund 10 times what you paid for the advice! Where else will you find a promise like that?

Hey I'll second that Keithco! If this dude is gonna ride he should at least be able to tell if his tires are bald! What's next? Where does the gas go in? OOhhhhh! Maybe which way do I sit on the seat? Do I look at the fat tire or the skinny tire? Or maybe side saddle? Is that the brake or the shifter???