Sign in to follow this  

Ballinger Canyon

Used to ride Ballinger back in the late 70,s. Had some great hillclimbs.

Is the riding still good? Thanks for the input:worthy:

Like most everywhere elst the place has been fenced and controlled. All those hillclimbs are off limits now. There are quite a few trails and it is a fun place to ride. I usually go there a couple of times every year. You can ride most every trail in a long day.

Ballinger Canyon is a great place to ride. Although it tends to be hot this time of year. It is smaller than Hungry Valley, but you would be hard pressed to ride all the trails in a weekend outing.

The place is clean and not crowded, in fact, you may not come across another rider on the trails during an off holiday weekend. We have experienced Ballinger all to ourselves on several occasions.

The trails are well marked. For the most part, they are not 'single track' and most can handle a ATV or larger vehicle. Only one section of Trail #29 could be considered single track and is not for the beginner.

Ballinger is actually west of Hungry Valley. From the L.A. area take the 5 North to Hwy 166 West. From the town of Maricopa it is only another 30Min's to Hwy 33. Turn south on the 33 until you see the Ballinger Canyon sign. Follow the road into the campgrounds.

Follow the link provided in the previous post and enjoy Ballinger Canyon. The last of the 'Un-Spoiled' and 'Un-Spoded' OHV areas.

You will need a current Adventure Pass. The rangers visit on occasion and will check for Green stickers and the Adventure Pass. I have run across a rangers parked at a trail crossing checking bikes.

rumor has it that you can connect to mt pinos and gorman through the los padres trails....also the trails are definately not ATV friendly once you get to 5 points. I would actually say that the only ATV friendly trails are in the valley, its mostly super narrow and hillclimbs once you take the trails up the mountain.

Ballinger Canyon does offer some single track in area,but nothing to technical.I think mud canyon is about the tightest trail there.Lots of the trails have been closed.Just dont ride their after a rain storm,its sloppy.

rumor has it that you can connect to mt pinos and gorman through the los padres trails.

Not legally.... 10+ plus years ago they were rumured to be planning a trail linking the two and if you look at the trial map you can see how that went.

Not too sure what N6VMO meant by hot but the temp is pretty mild in the spring. A few months ago it was as cold as a witch's (you know) and in a few more months the temps will get into the 90's during the day.

It's fun and not overly challenging for the novice rider. The kids can have fun riding near the camp.

Ed

60's during the day and near freezing at night this time of the year is normal.

Though this weekend it could be a bit warmer with the "East" winds which could also result in it being very windy in some places in those canyons.

Maybe that is balmy depending on where you are from. :applause:

Not too sure what N6VMO meant by hot but the temp is pretty mild in the spring.

Ed

Sorry, my post was a copy from an older thread. That thread was posted last summer. :applause:

Temps now are as stated by others above.

If you go during the week there will be nobody there. Im serious i went on like a tuesday and we were literaly the only ones there.

If you go during the week there will be nobody there. Im serious i went on like a tuesday and we were literaly the only ones there.

its like that every where during the week. I go to gorman during the week and its soooooo nice.

Not legally.... 10+ plus years ago they were rumured to be planning a trail linking the two and if you look at the trial map you can see how that went.

Not too sure what N6VMO meant by hot but the temp is pretty mild in the spring. A few months ago it was as cold as a witch's (you know) and in a few more months the temps will get into the 90's during the day.

It's fun and not overly challenging for the novice rider. The kids can have fun riding near the camp.

Ed

bringing it back-ya there is a trail #105 toads springs that has been closed due to landslide that will probably never be reopened(the only trail through Sespe N.F.).not sure if there is a way to clear the landslide and reopen?anyways it is only partial of trail system from Ballinger to Frazier.It use to be that you could go down hill from Ballinger into Quatal Canyon,up Mt.Able,across the ridge to Pinos,down the S. side to Lockwood,up to Frazier,down to Gorman,through Hungry Valley to the 5FRWY-long ride,long time ago.

whoever said that the trails at ballinger at beginner oriented are ON CRACK!!! the blue intermediate trails there are more difficult than ANY black diamond trail at gorman (with the exception possibly of the tejon trail which I have never tried) the hill climbs are insane, the downhills are even more insane.......the black diamonds are really insane (to me at least) it was a crazy day, but fun and it really pushed my limits and definately made me a better rider.

whoever said that the trails at ballinger at beginner oriented are ON CRACK!!! the blue intermediate trails there are more difficult than ANY black diamond trail at gorman (with the exception possibly of the tejon trail which I have never tried) the hill climbs are insane, the downhills are even more insane.......the black diamonds are really insane (to me at least) it was a crazy day, but fun and it really pushed my limits and definately made me a better rider.

In my experience this holds for all forest trails. The state judges the trails differently. A black diamond in a state park is a blue in the national forest. Black diamond trails in the forest are challenging for just about everyone. Sometimes they can be almost impassable unless you are a true expert rider.

Some forests don't even label the trails for difficulty. Watch out for those and be ready for anything.