Sign in to follow this  

Silent Insert (dB Dawg)- Updated MX track test.

Ok, got the dB Dawg reinstalled. Track was generally harder with jumps out of corners, some sand whoops, etc. Not a rutted, high traction track.

Being that it was warm outside, 65 degrees with pretty much no humidity, the motor on the 05 CRF was running really good. I wanted to test it and see if anyone noticed, so I didn't tell my riding buddies about it until later.

Got out on the track and the motor felt noticably softer off the bottom, but as strong in the middle and on top. I had no trouble clearing the big step up (about 90') that some other guys on CRF's were having problems with. On the hard track, the softer bottom end was good for lower wheelspin, but I am concerned what it will be like on tracks with more traction.

I adjusted the fuel screw a bit leaner since the exhaust restricted the flow and it was running rich. That helped out on the bottom end, but the bit was still soft. I am thinking that an RHC cam would pick up the bottom and give me a bit better on top. Maybe RHC has one for me to test....?

Here is the really GOOD PART. Performance was pretty good, but WOW was the noise so much less on the track. I could not believe it how quiet this thing was. I let a few buddies ride the bike and at 50-75 yards away, it sounded like a stock XR400R. No kidding. I had a bunch of folks come over and ask what kind of pipe I was running. Close up while standing in the pits it really wasn't that noticable, but out on the track, with the other bikes, you could not pick out my bike from theirs.

The new pointed screws worked well. It did not budge, but does appear to want to wiggle just a little. I am taking a look at using the screws to mount it for extra security.

I would again recommend this product. Be sure you get the pointed mounting screws and make sure you install it properly. I am planning on putting it on the dyno sometime soon to see what the REAL horsepower difference is. I will update this with different track tests and dyno numbers as I get them.

$40 to save our sport. Money well spent.

James

Where did you get your pointy screws? I have had my dB Dawg for a couple of months and am also looking for another shorty allen wrench, since mine is stripped, if anyone has a lead on one.

I just called Colleen at Ignition. She took care of it and a wrench too. There is no way I would change from stock anyway. Works well, reasonably quiet, and with the insert it really works well. All for $40.

James

I'm pretty impressed with mine too. I don't ride motocross and have the bike in SM trim for the road, but I was just looking for a reduction in noise for no cost in power....and that's exactly what I got.