Sign in to follow this  

CRF150R/150F Pros & Cons

I am looking to upgrade in size from my KLX110 to a larger framed mini and wanted people’s opinions, comments about the pros and cons between the CRF150F and 150R. I’ve heard the 150R is obnoxiously loud (which is a big turn off since I do most of riding in populated areas) and the 150F is quite but heavy for its size. I’m looking for a bike that will best fit a 6’2” 225lb intermediate rider, that will be able to take the jumps, handle well on the trails/track, and be powerful enough to get me through most situations. Is the 150R overkill for someone who isn’t a MX racer, or ever will be? (I’ve accepted it) Is it a waste of $ to get a 150F and mod it out just to keep it quite? Is there a way to modify the 150R exhaust to be as quite as the 150F? Are there other 4-stroke mid-sized bikes that I should be looking at? Am I asking to many questions? Any and all help on these matters will be greatly appreciated

At 6'2" and 225 I think your looking at the wrong bike. The 150R is a kids race bike, a 150cc four stroke motor in an 85 frame. While the 150F is a little larger in the cockpit area it is still a little small for your size, fun but small.

A 230F is the same frame as a 150F with full size wheels. I would suggest you look at a 250X (great on the trails, good on the track) or find a XR250R (great on the trails, awfull on the track, will run forever).

But if it is just a play bike and since you have been riding a 110 heck anything will work. The 150F can be modded to make about as much power as a 150R but it would cost close to $3500. Then the suspension needs work (think 225 pounds) and its still small for YOU. The 150R will need some suspension work and you may get it a bit quieter but not lots.

CRF250X, WR250F lots of better solutions in a full size 250 fourstroke and heck if you hate big bikes just sell it.

Dude, you are 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier than I am and I would look like a circus clown on either of those bikes.

And like someone said, the 150R is a race bike. A bike that size designed for racing is going to be even more specific the size of KIDS it is designed for.

The 250X is good advise if you need a quiet bike. So would a TTR250 or XR250 (not 200). All of these are going to be more apporiate for your size. Maybe CRF230 but it is still a little small I think and pretty heavy.

Oh and cons. The 150R has had some issue breaking the cam. From what I have read it seems that this bike will lose a considerable amount of oil in a pretty short amount of time.

Unless you need this bike to be competitive in its approiate racing class, I don't see it as being a good choice.

At 6'2 225lbs, your way to big for the 150. Get a 250f. If your partial to Hondas check out the X model if most of your riding will be tails.

Thanks for all the input. I know the bikes are small for my size, but a big bike is a waste of money for the type of ridding I do. Plus their bigger than what I'm ridding now (KLX110). I'm just looking for the best all round play-bike that is out there.

So what do you do? Do you just play around in the yard or something? If that is the case, the 110 is probably the best thing.

Thanks for all the input. I know the bikes are small for my size, but a big bike is a waste of money for the type of ridding I do. Plus their bigger than what I'm ridding now (KLX110). I'm just looking for the best all round play-bike that is out there.

The best all around play-bike out there for guys your and my size would have to be built. It would be the CRF150RF. A 150F frame, 150R motor and 150R or CR85 suspension components. I'm sure Regger Engineering will have a kit to adapt 150R front forks to 150F frames eventually. A custom AL+ swingarm that is 8.5" wide at the frame pivot point and narrows down to accept the 150R rear hub could be made by Novation in Spokane Wash. This would give you a light weight bike in a medium size frame with a killer engine. Most guys will not appreciate this conversion, but any one who can't comfortably fit on a 85/150R size bike, would see the merit behind it. If Honda built this bike I think they would sell a ton of them to adult riders! And yes, I am an unrepentant tig welder/conversion artist. So let the laughing begin.