loose chain

it's done nearly 5000 miles - looking a bit ratty, I just see all the advertising photo's with tight looking chains and get worried. it's set as per manual 5.5 to 6cm slack. think I might get myself a new chain and sprocket set.

Anyone in UK know where to get a good deal on DID?

If you tighten the chain alot, it'll stretch faster. Load up the rear end as much as possible and check for play. You should have some. It'll sag with no weight, that's what the guides are for! If the chain is to tight, it binds up the suspension as it loads up (say, in a turn!) and you lose some handling! The manual says 1.5 inches (i think) i always pull the rear down, and adjust from there!

When you look at the SM without rider on is the chain meant to sag slightly?

I've tightended it twice in 4 weeks and it just keeps looking looser and looser !! :applause:

It is very much supposed to sag slightly. It's call chain slack. At the midpoint between the sprockets the it should have about 2" of slack.

By tightening it repeatedly, you are stretching the chain. And have possibly caused excessive wear in the sprockets. For peace of mind's sake, you might want to get a new chain, check the sprockets for wear (if any of the teeth are starting to hook, you need to replace). Then consult your owners manual for how to measure chain slack, set the right amount of slack, and leave it alone!

Oh, and keep riding! :applause: