Sign in to follow this  

Can you putt around on a KDX?

My son is 17 months old and I'm thinking years ahead here when he's old enough to ride. I'll get him a 50cc something. But I won't be able to follow him on my KX250.

I'm not going to sell my KX but will probably buy another bike. I was thinking about a 4 stroke but was wondering about the KDX. It's got a kick stand and a tamer motor but can you putt around with it, too?

Karl

Definitly. Make sure it's jetted right and you can probably run all day under 3000 rpm. The 220 is definitely the lugger of the two.

I put around behind my kid all the time on my KX125. I will "blow it out" once or twice a lap but I have been doing that on the same plug for almost a year now. If your 250 is jetting correctly, you can do the same.

But, that being said, I wish I had a KLX110 for this. I borrowed a bud's once to chase him around on the mini track and we both had a blast. My bike is too big for the mini track but the 110 is perfect. That way he and I can "race". Seriously fun stuff.

• Like 1

the KDX is a great putt putt bike as well as a very reliable machine! the stock bars bend like lockwire, but otherwise they are great bikes.

Good to know on all accounts! My KX is jetted great, I've never fouled a plug (on the two rides I've been on since I got it) and I do a lot of technical stuff on it.

I even thought of picking up a TT-R250, CRF230, etc. to ride with him. My idea behind it would be to get my wife involved. So a KLX110 would be perfect b/c she's only 5'4".

Great food for thought, thanks guys.

Karl

KDX's are made to putt, they will do it all day long with much more composure than an MX bike (I owned a '96 for several years).

kargo27, check out the Honda CRF150F (the beginner bike, not the MX bike). That may fit the bill for your wife, if you are looking for a bike specifically to fit her. A KDX200 or KDX220 would be too tall for her.

The 220 is nice because you can scream it all you want or relax it and never foul a plug.

A XR or CRF 100 would be a great chase bike and would be a lot cheaper than a 150. Everyone wants a 150 and no one wants the 100s anymore.

Plus they are 'stone axe' reliable.

both me and my riding buddy ride 220's and we have chased our boys who started on 50s, 70's and now 125's. Never a problem. We both did some tweaking on the the jettings, just got mine dialed in, and she runs great.

I use a CRF230 to putt with. Air cooled, loves to be lugged, no maintenence issues and electric start as I seem to stop and start every 2 minutes.

Of course I put 47mm inverted Showas and a Works rear shock and pipe and jet just in case......

Stock, the KDX will put around just fine. I bought a FMF desert pipe and a FMF PCII silencer and went for a 1/2 hr. ride in the tight trails. When I got back to my house I opened it up. It was bogging for good 5-10 mins, until I cleaned it out. If you want to upgrade pipes and putt, get the woods pipe.

Hard to beat a KDX200/220 for all around fun riding. We have a KX100, two CRF150's, a KTM 200, a CRF230, and a KDX220. My wife absolutely loves her '06 CRF150 w/electric start. She rode the KX100 for a day, and didn't like the peakiness at all. I switch off between the KTM & the KDX. Both are a blast, with the KDX being somewhat "mellower" than the KTM. Currently having a BBR big bore kit installed on the CRF230, so we'll see how that works soon. We also bought a pair of BBR fork springs, and put one in each of the CRF150's. Two BBR springs makes it too harsh, one and one stock spring works great. My advice: get a KDX200/220. Superb long term all around bike.

Stock, the KDX will put around just fine. I bought a FMF desert pipe and a FMF PCII silencer and went for a 1/2 hr. ride in the tight trails. When I got back to my house I opened it up. It was bogging for good 5-10 mins, until I cleaned it out. If you want to upgrade pipes and putt, get the woods pipe.

That is a jetting issue, not a trait of the bike or pipe.

Good to know on all accounts! My KX is jetted great, I've never fouled a plug (on the two rides I've been on since I got it) and I do a lot of technical stuff on it.

I even thought of picking up a TT-R250, CRF230, etc. to ride with him. My idea behind it would be to get my wife involved. So a KLX110 would be perfect b/c she's only 5'4".

Great food for thought, thanks guys.

Karl

This is what I did. My son (4yo) has a CRF50 and he's learning to ride. I can't tell you how please I am with the decision to buy CRF230 to chase him around. I take him to Carnegie, which is full of loose rocky areas that make Daniel get stuck because of the training wheels. There are many times where I'll have to dismount to help him out. Having the kickstand and "E" start makes this process much easier...