Sign in to follow this  

06 TC auto decomp upgrade??

New 06 TC 450 and it sure dosen't feel like it has auto decomp. Searched around and various threads seem to say it is there but updated for 07. Anyone have a how to on this process as it is also suggested it is a easy update. I am finding the kicker will kick back hard on occassion if not just stopping dead. Lots of thumper kicking experience BTW, nothing has kicked back this hard in years, thanks, Jim.

Does not sound right, I would start buy confirming that the Automatic De-Compressor (ADC) is there, working and valve clearences are correct. I mention valve clearence as KTM has a similar system, both lift the exhaust valve very slightly and if the clearence is too great the ADC will be de-activated.

Start with is the shim in place on the right exhaust valve?

Next are the clearences correct

Is the ADC there? Its a funny thing around the front cam on the right side

It hasn't been ridden yet, just heat cycled a half dozen times. I figured it was in need of improving as they mention it in the 07 bike descriptions. I'll pull the valve cover to get a good look inside. Starts and runs fine, but if you hit that comp stroke with a light foot, look out! Reminds me of the kickback of my old 620SX, just with more snap/speed, at least as much power in the back stroke. If I follow the old 4 stroke drill, (I find I MUST follow, not really an option with the kickback) and find the comp. stroke, & push just past TDC she fires right up. I was not expecting to need to do this anymore, can other TC450 owners with 06s just kick away? New cams and higher comp. in 06 might cause this??? Thanks, Jim.

I didn't notice anything that looked like an auto decompression unit on my '06 TC510 when I checked the valves the other day.