Sign in to follow this  

Cam noise on engine rebuild

Hi guys, just installed the TT flywheel and clearanced the valves and the cams are really loud when the bike is running. Now I know they aren't supposed to be silent, but on the trip around the block I heard more cam noise than my open yosh exhaust. I've got the MCCT and have it tightened until I feel tension. I want to avoid taking the bike apart again, but just want to know if I am being paranoid as I haven't heard the bike running in a months or if some thing could be wrong. I beleive some thing could be wrong, but it rides fine. Any opions would be appreciated as it is much louder than I remember.

I've got the MCCT and have it tightened until I feel tension

That statement makes me wonder if you set the MCCT right. Did you adjust it with the motor running?

Valve were set at .164mm for the intake and .254mm for the exhaust. Those are the middle of the road numbers and I chose shims to get me as close to those as possible. I have the RHC cams, but those are set to the same specs as stock.

I guess dumping the oil and taking it apart one more time won't be the end of the world if it comes to that.

close the clearance down to .004" in and .008" ex and it will quite down some.

the rhc cams are noisier.

Wow, that's a bit of a change from my 0.007" and 0.010" that I am currently at. I won't see any unusual wear on the valves I assume? Thanks for your help Eddie!

Sounds reasonable to me. I will pick up my tools and start tonight. Thanks again Eddie!

Wow, that's a bit of a change from my 0.007" and 0.010" that I am currently at. I won't see any unusual wear on the valves I assume? Thanks for your help Eddie!

I had this same situation with the RHC cams. I did what eddie said :applause: and it was MUCH better.

Good Luck,

CC

Tightened up the specs and the valve noise calmed down a little bit. It was still loud, but not as crazy as before. Took it around the block, adjusted the MCCT and it was running great. Got about a mile from my house, wasn't really accelerating in 4th gear and something in the engine/trans snapped. Bike made a clunk noise and the engine shut off Any suggestions on where to look first or what could have broken? I can't work on this until tomorrow or Sunday, but want to get any options one where to start. I'm sure this is not going to be fun :applause:

something in the engine/trans snapped. Bike made a clunk noise and the engine shut off
Just got a sympathetic sick feeling in my stomach reading that. Let us know what you find.

Yeah, I know the valves will be the first place to start, but there are so many bad possibilities and outcomes here :applause:

No point in torturing yourself over what you MIGHT find. I'll bet it's killing you, but until you start tearing it down you may as well avoid speculating.

I will report back tomorrow morning when I see what part let loose. Keep me in your prayers this evening :applause:

Just saw your post. Man...that just sucks. I am really interested, as it seems like everyone else is, on what happened. Especially since I have so recently done the bb and cams.

Good luck and let us know.

CC