Sign in to follow this  

So You Just Bought a Brand New Thumper-R

Now! you have a brand new out of the box thumper-r

Here's my question, Do you take it from the dealer, to the track and ride, or take it to your shop/home and pre prep it?

Feel free to fill us in on any details of your preflight tips.

Maybe after some discussion we can form a sticky on OUT OF THE BOX PREPARING YOUR RACE MACHINE. :applause:

well i would go home, change the oil first thing. Go through and grease everything! get good gas, free mods, check everything over. BREAK IT IN and then go ride.

there is asticky somewhere on how to properly break in youre bike. take it home, grease eveything, then youstart it, left it idle for like 5 minutes, kill it, left it cool, rev it hard for like 5 minutes, kill it, let it coool, then you can use it as you like. dont think thats right, ill try to find the sticky for you.

Last spring I bought a brand new KTM 400 exc. The dealer set it up for me. I took it home and drooled all over it for the rest of the day. The next day I rode it, got it all muddy - it ran perfectly, and took it home to change the oil and adjust the valves for the first time. It always ran flawlessly. The dealer I bought from IMO was pretty togother and they did a good job setting it up for me. I brought in a long list o questions and they answered them all, and I felt confident to go riding immediately.

I'm all for the grip it and rip it break in, even had good success with dry seating rings.

Break in is NOT realy what I'm looking for here "more the what to look for / check out" on a pretty much hand assembled MXer...

Depends what you buy. I would hardly call Dunlop 756's lameass.

I stand corrected ! Let me clarify, if you haven't noticed I ride a 2002 WR. When I bought my bike it came with the typical Dunlop 739's which in my opinion are lameass. :applause:

Take it home, tear it apart and grease things really well. I like to loc-tite some of the bolts that are know to fall out.

I bought a KTM from MPC in Roseville, CA. I have to admit to not doing much before riding it. I did check chain tension - it was good and the axle was greased. The filter was clean and oiled and engine oil was in the sight glass. I topped it off with fresh gas and rode it. During the course of general maintenance I have had everything apart on the bike with the exception of the motor. I discovered excellent dealer prep. All axles and the swingarm pivot had been greased. The steering head bearings had a liberal dose of grease and they had rejetted the bike so it ran spot on from day one. Bottom line is how confident you are in your dealer and their bike prep before delivery.

check oil levels

grease bearings/fittings

adjust chain

tighten spokes

break it in for 2 nights up and down the street

tear off the subframe and get the shock and forks into the shop for respring/revalve asap

put a desert tank on

add the stabilizer

get the suspension back, set the sag

load the bike, off for the weekend.