Sign in to follow this  

Hotrodding an SL100

OK, I've got an old Honda SL100 that's just plain tired. It's been in my family for years & years. I'm thinking about trying to hot-rod it along with the rebuild. I'm thinking of standard 4-stroke hotrod techniques: bigger bore, better breathing head, bigger cam, bigger carb, etc.

Anybody got any suggestions? I've thought about Powroll, and visited their website, but their big-bore kits & hot cams are listed as out-of-stock.

Any suggestions? Anybody done this?

Thanks,

Kirk

if i remember correctly, back in '72, a sl125 top end will fit on a sl100.

I was just a kid but my buddies father either swapped out the cylinder or bored out the cylinder and put the 125 piston in. might want to search that. Also Poweroll made some top end cams and springs, and i forget who made the megaphone pipe, but it was LOUD!! When the new 2 smokes came along the bike was antiquated like overnight.

The SL100 rod uses a smaller wrist pin than the SL125 rod, you can not just put a 125 cylinder and piston on. I have a Bassani up pipe exhaust on mine right now :applause: The guys at Mike's Cycle Salvage in Salem, Oregon have some NOS left. :applause:

I know you can put a sl100 head on a sl125. I did that in the late 70's with a 132 kit.For a 125 it ran pretty good.

Year ago in 1983 I build SL100 with Powroll

Stroke Crank I think it was a 9.5mm

Big Bore Kit, But at time it was High Compression 11.5 kit (with 100 head)

Camshaft - Race Grind

Stronger Clutch Sptings

Things they no longer have is

Stainless Steel Valves

Heavy Duty Race Valve Springs

Titanium Retainers

Heavy Duty Race Cam Chain

Big Carburetor Kit I forgot the size I think it 24 or 26mm

Supertrapp This maybe still be around

At frist it in my drit bike but late end up in my CB100 that had top speed 120mph.

Beezer you have a rickman frame?

Yes I do,it has the steel tank,fiberglass seat shell and front and rear fenders with a 32 or 34 mm set of forks and clamps ,decent nickle plate and a set of who knows what shocks that don't fit right,no wheels but the original ones weren't that good anyway and the front and lower motor mounts have been cut as someone was going to shoe horn a different power plant in it .BSA's don't fit but little hondas do a friend of mine built 2 several years ago.Made a cool motorcycle.

Id love to find a Rickman Petite Matisse frame to throw one of my Hodaka motors in

Id love to find a Rickman Petite Matisse frame to throw one of my Hodaka motors in

If you're interested I think i can get it as fars as Reno.

I'm really not pushing it that hard but if you feel at some point that you can't live with out it get ahold of me I'll make you a screamin' deal.

For the difference in wrist pins.

I have a parts sl125 that I have offered. Does anyone know if the 125 rod could be used?

Allen

The 100 and 125 cranks interchange.

Regarding frames...I put a 1970 CL100 motor into a 79 RM 125 chassis. That was one of the best sliding motorcycles Ive ever ridden.

I put a stroked 125 crank (I forget how far) and an over bored piston and it came out to 198cc. I remember the piston was the same size as a 750/4 piston. The 125 head was ported, it had a Powrol cam and I made the pipe myself and that little sucker hauled ass for what it was...

One tip, stick with a 428 chain. Even hopped up, the difference between a 520 and a 428 can really be felt.

thats funny I put a 78 XL175 motor in an 79 RM125 chassis a few years ago and just ended up turning the horse arena into a circle track cuase that sucker slid so well, another bike I wish I still had.

The 100 and 125 cranks interchange.

Regarding frames...I put a 1970 CL100 motor into a 79 RM 125 chassis. That was one of the best sliding motorcycles Ive ever ridden.

I put a stroked 125 crank (I forget how far) and an over bored piston and it came out to 198cc. I remember the piston was the same size as a 750/4 piston. The 125 head was ported, it had a Powrol cam and I made the pipe myself and that little sucker hauled ass for what it was...

One tip, stick with a 428 chain. Even hopped up, the difference between a 520 and a 428 can really be felt.

So if I send him the rod and piston with the head and cylinder the sl125 top end will work on the sl100 bottom.

Allen