Sign in to follow this  

xt 200 valve settings and carb help

Hey just got an xt 200 i'm thinking its an 82, But the valves are not set right anyone know the settings ? Also there is a hose that comes out of the side of the carb and I don't know were it goes and i have to spray air into this hose to get the bike to start and it wont idle. Anyone have some answers for me ?:applause: I want to ride so bad !

Anthony B

Hey, sounds nice. I just sold my XT200. They were only made in 82 & 83 and were identical except for paint. 82's were red with white & black stripes; 83's were white with yellow & black stripes.

I don't have the valve settings in front of me, but intake is about .003" and exhaust is about .005". I can look 'em up for you this evening.

The hose that comes out of the right side of the carb, up high, was just a vent hose. The hose was routed behind the engine and down and out at the bottom of the motor. The only other hose was the carb bowl drain hose, attached directly to the bottom of the bowl. Routed same way.

Sounds like the carb could use a going-thru. Disassemble, clean, reassemble, set float height, set idle mixture, ride...

Ok well i think mines an 83 but I re n re'd my carb, i cleaned that thing till it was spotless. So you can adjust the float float height ? how do i do that and how will i know when it is set right.

Its weird because when i try to start my bike it wont go but when i spray air with the compressor in that vent hose it runs so Pretty much its not getting enough fuel to start because the float is not letting in enough fuel . Am i getting this right almost ?... And thanks for the all the help if you know anymore tricks or anything that would help me enjoy this bike please share if you would like to .

Anthony B