Sign in to follow this  

Nothing Seems To Work!

Please Help Me Burned. I Am Sorry To Keep On This Question, But After Putting In A #42 Pilot Jet And Turning The Fuel Screw Out From 2 1/4 Turns (stock) To 3 Turns, The Bike ( '05 Stock 400ex) Started Easy But Ran Like Crap. I Then Went Back To The Stock #38 Pilot Jet And 2 1/4 Turns Out (stock Setting) On The Fuel Screw And The Bike Also Ran Like Crap. I Didn't Touch Anything Else In The Carb (that I Know Of) I Bought The D-wrench Bit From Motion Pro To Adjust The Fuel Screw Properly. But Now If I Give It More That 1/4 Throttle It Sounds Like It Is Starving For Fuel. I Don't Think It Is Flooding Because Nothing Has Come Out Of The Overflow Since This Problem Started. Is There Anything Specific Item To Look For That I May Have Messed Up? I Took The Float Bowl Off Careful Not To Hit The Float. And I Had A Download On How To Do The Job. I Also Put A Main Jet And Pilot Jet In My Drz400s With No Problems, So What Did I Do Wrong Here? Please Help If You Can?

what bike, do you mean a KTM 400 EXC?

Whatever it is while stock jetting may not be optimum I don't know of any bike coming with jetting so far off that it "runs like crap" so I suspect you have a tune up problem outside of jetting. If it is a KTM 400 EXC you have a needle that has very little taper, should be tossed for one that has more such as the JD or an OCEMN, but still stock runs fairly good

It Is A Honda Trx400ex, Totally Stock. It Has About 15 Hrs. On It. All I Did Was Listen To A Thread Which Was Suppose To Help With The Hard Starting. I Put A #42 Pilot Jet In It And Turned The Fuel Screw Out From 2 1/4 To 3 Turns Out. The Bike Use To Run Great, Just Hard To Start When Cold. With The New Jetting It Ran Like Crap, So Back To Stock Jetting, Still No Good? What Happened?

i used wrench for my friends race team and they used to run 400's back in the day. i have never had a 400 that started easy at cold compression. even stock. the farther you take the jetting from stock with a stock motor and components the worse you will be. try taking all the jetting back to stock and moving the needle clip down one position from center (stock position) this should help you a little. do you have after market exhaust? if you do let me know. finding the right pilot is simple. start with the screw at around 2 turns out and go in with it until it starts to studder or run crapy. then do the same in the other direction. if it goes past 1 turn in then you need to go up in size on your pilot. if it goes over 3 1/4 turns then you need a smaller pilot. this is only if you have after market exhaust and header. not just a pipe. let me know

I Have A Stock Exhaust. After Speaking To Some Friends With Knowledge, He Said It Is Possible That Dirt May Have Gotten Into The Main Jet When I Installed The New Pilot Jet With The Carb Upside Down. I Really Just Want It Back To Stock And I Will Tolerate The Hard Starting.

I Also Do Not Own One Of Those Motion Pro $111.00 Fuel Screw Wrenches So I Can Adjust The Screw While It Is One The Bike. I Did Buy The "d" Dit For It Though.