Sign in to follow this  

ATF - Would you use it in your 2 stroke transmission? (A good ol' debate)

I'm probably going to stir up a hornet's nest here, but it's ok, if things get out of hand I've got a full can of Raid! :applause:

We've all seen the posts about what motor oil is the best so let's try something a little different.

Lots of guys are switching to ATF for their gear oil/clutch lube and swear by it. They claim longer clutch life and smoother operation. Given that, why wouldn't we all use it? After all, it would seem that car's tranny's have a similar setup with clutches and gearing. Do they?

I can see where motorcycle oil companies would not want us to change over to ATF. Just follow the money. A quart of Honda 10w-40 oil sells for about $4.25 per quart. Brand name auto ATF sells for $2.00 per quart, and Wal-Mart brand sells for $1.00 per quart. For the record, I've spoken with a Wal Mart auto manager and he told me that whomever wins the bid for the oil contract that year gets to produce and sell it to Wal Mart under the "SuperTech" badging. He said that these companies are typically Shell, Chevron, and Quaker State/Pennzoil. (But that's a whole other topic!)

So, back to the topic, what are your thoughts on ATF. I especially would like to hear from those who've used it for a long period of time, but also from the nay-sayers and why they wouldn't use it.

Let the debate begin! :applause:

I don't use it, I know of people using it for the KX65's, but me, I choose to use gear oil in gear driven transmissions and ATF in automatic transmissions.

I use Motul gear oil for my KX250 and KX65, they shift like butter!!:applause:

I don't use it, I know of people using it for the KX65's, but me, I choose to use gear oil in gear driven transmissions and ATF in automatic transmissions.

I use Motul gear oil for my KX250 and KX65, they shift like butter!!:applause:

I'm playing :applause: advocate here, so don't get :cry:, but don't automatic transmissions have gears in them, too? And wouldn't the ATF lube the gears ok? I'm just trying to find out facts here and at least try to dispel some myths! :lol:

Karl

I hear ATF will work fine. One of my riding buddies swears by it... he also mixes some 10W40 with it because he claims it helps with the shifting. I personally wouldn't use it.. seems a little thin for the extreme abuse that a mx bike will go through. Gear oil is probably better... after all its designed specifically for extreme conditions in a gearbox. 10W40 is second on my list... been using it for over 10 years with no trouble. An automatic transmission in a car does have both gears and clutches... but not convinced that the oil is good enough for a bike. Plus I hate the smell of the stuff and can't stand getting it on my hands.. That is enough reason for me right there not to use the stuff.

I use it in my sons kx65 ive heard its good for anything up to a kx125.Dont know about the 250 on up. And just for the record i had a 1985 s-10 4x4 some years ago.I redid the clutch in it several times and in factory chevy manual it stated to use ATF in a 5speed manual tranny.I thought it was a error!!!!!! So i called the dealer.He said it was correct but the put in regular gear oil because its easer to get in bulk and they have more of it around. So to answer your questions . No ATF is not just for automatic tranny's only

ATF "type F" is what you want. Thats the stuff without the friction modifiers in it. From what I've heard, you need to change your oil much more often when using it. Every 1-2 rides.

I'm :applause: why would it be good only up to a 125..?

No, it will work on a 250 and up as well.

• Like 1

So...does the ATF break down so fast that needs to be changed that often..?

I'm playing :applause: advocate here, so don't get :lol:, but don't automatic transmissions have gears in them, too? And wouldn't the ATF lube the gears ok? I'm just trying to find out facts here and at least try to dispel some myths! :applause:

Karl

They do, but they also are driven by intricate hydraulic systems. I don't know much on the subject though, look at it on Wikipedia.

So...does the ATF break down so fast that needs to be changed that often..?

Well you should be changing your oil frequently anyway.. but I have heard that the additives can break down quicker in the atf so you want to change it more often.

Well you should be changing your oil frequently anyway.. but I have heard that the additives can break down quicker in the atf so you want to change it more often.

Gotcha...thanks..:applause:

Gotcha...thanks..:applause:

No problem... just remember if you are going to use the stuff, run "Type F" not Dextron.

Why not use the right stuff??? Here in the East in the mud snow and tight trails we deal with I want the proper lubrication, not some thin red girly crap that would not hold up to the beating that has to be changed every ride. Again, just my opinion.

And yes auto transmissions do have gears. :applause:

I'm using Golden Spectro 80wt gear oil..seems to work o.k. for the limited time I have on the bike, plus the previous owner used it too. It shifts really well. Anyone else use this..? Sorry don't mean to highjack your thread Karl..

Why not use the right stuff??? Here in the East in the mud snow and tight trails we deal with I want the proper lubrication, not some thin red girly crap that would not hold up to the beating that has to be changed every ride. Again, just my opinion.

And yes auto transmissions do have gears. :applause:

Type F ATF is all I've been using for about 4 years now. Believe me any vehicle with an automatic tranny that weighs several thousand pounds that is driven for hours on end with the AC on puts alot more load and heat on the tranny than a 220 lb. dirt bike ever could.

Type F ATF is all I've been using for about 4 years now. Believe me any vehicle with an automatic tranny that weighs several thousand pounds that is driven for hours on end with the AC on puts alot more load and heat on the tranny than a 220 lb. dirt bike ever could.

You also deal with with well over 12 quarts in a truck system that may have a trans cooler too. In one muddy harescramble I would much rather rely on thicker gear oil than thinner trans fluid.

You can do what is right for you, to each his own. I prefer motul gear oil you prefer ATF. :applause:

I think the 80wt oil offers better protection for the gears, its thicker and would offer more cushion between the teeth and clutching. The atf is probably better for the clutch alone, and I've heard guys say they like the feel of the clutch better when using it. But if your a hard rider, power shifting and really working the bike, that atf will see temps higher than an auto tranny would I bet. Thats probably why the additives break down quicker and they suggest more frequent oil changes.

I have used both ATF typeF and 10-40 motor oil and also maxima trans oil. The ATF makes the clutch work very nice but motor oil and the maxima oil makes the bike shift nicer,so I use motor oil or the maxima if I have it. Right now I am using the maxima because a friend gave me a case of it but normaly I use 10-40. Just my thoughts. Ed