Sign in to follow this  

450 EXC Light Dimming?

Interested if anyone else has experienced significant headlight dimming (20 - 25%) only on braking with the 07 450 EXC.

RPM's has no impact on this issue.

Scary issue when riding at night. :applause:

my 525 has the same issue, was told it was normal, but I do know I would like to have a brighter headlight for the future, ideas?

I have heard that those lights on te exc's are great, but it is true that powering the brake light will have an effect on the headlight---rip off the brake light :applause: hahahahaha

I actually like the dimming when dual sporting on the street. Tap the brake on and off and the headlight flashes........ makes me just a little more visible on the street................ It is, however, annoying as hell on the trail, and the LED tail lamp bulb that I tried was too dim for my idea of safety on the street where frankly, the tail lamp bulb is needed the most.

Appreciate the responses.

I would have expected that the DOT approval process would have captured this safety issue.

Not complaining as this EXC package is awesome.

I am still surprised that this Race bike is street legal. :applause:

Yo might look this up on KTMtalk for more discussion. Try a search on TT as well. We have beat it to death in the past. The '07 EXC still has a split stator system. They wind 3 coils for battery charging and use the rest (3 or 4, I can't remember) for lighting. The bike is pushing the limit at 35 watts. Yes, you would think a DOT requirement would force KTM to spend almost no money and basically rewire the bike.

Those of us going to the "full wave DC power" have done it a few different ways. If you go to trail-tech.net and look at their KTM modified stator it will look a little confusing. All they did was join the 7 coils in series, omit (float) the ground and take the two ends of the coil wires to a 'full wave rectifier' they sell for about $40. From there all power goes directly to the battery and the lighting is powered directly from the battery only.

Dale of Trick Cycle did this for my bike when I dual sported it. To add more power, some guys have filled up the last stator coil with wire (since KTM didn't) or added a Trail-tech flywheel which has more magnet in it for more power.

The cheapest and easiest route is to join the coils and float the ground. Add the full wave rectifier and trace the lighting power wire so you can send it to the battery.

John Davies has a website with this info. If he sees this, I'm sure he will post it for you.

Good luck

I talked to baja designs today and they have a 2 sided fix, they sell a LED rear light to solve the dimming problem, but more interesting, they sell another bulb for the front, a 85 watt bulb which is said to be much stronger, and the stock stator is said to have the power to run it!!, It does cost 39, I ordered one, I will let everyone know how it does.