Sign in to follow this  

sx-f 450/505 adding 5th or 6th gear???

Hey Matt:

Maybe ask that Dave from that thread if it could be done with your new bike.

I'm so not an expert. :applause:

It will not be the same as the old engine where you could buy a couple gears, a shift fork etc. as the new trans is a totally different type of trans. Specualtion is that a complete trans from a RFS engine will fit. Our guy Travis has a new 450SXF and is going to open it up in a week or so and see if a complete trans from the RFS line fits, if so your looking at $1K in parts. May increase the profitability of parting out old bikes

There is a good post over on KTMTalk.com about this. I think Travis qouted above is the same guy that is going to see if it works.

Hubby has an 03 450SX and added 5th and 6th gear. He also ended up having to add 2nd gear, something to do with the ratio, I believe. I think the gears were MXC gears - there's "spacing" or "room" in the four gear box for these gears, but they're not there. I guess KTM figures that if you're racing a 450SX, you don't need 5th and 6th.

It necessitated a weighted flywheel and a few other things; by the time we were done it was $1200. It also took nearly 2.5 months, but that's a different story. :naughty:

It was still insanely fast but spread out more over the gearing, if that makes sense.

We're selling his Katoom; he just bought an 07 CRF450R, if that tells you anything. :bonk:

Why would you want a 5th & 6th gear anyway.These bikes are mx race bikes.not high speed record setting bikes.If you want a bike with "more"gears buy a dirrerant model.Tree Jane your hubby bought a crf 450/07 over a sxf450/07 sorry about his luck(big mistake).Well there is my positive thinking for today later.

Why would you want a 5th & 6th gear anyway.These bikes are mx race bikes.not high speed record setting bikes.If you want a bike with "more"gears buy a dirrerant model.Tree Jane your hubby bought a crf 450/07 over a sxf450/07 sorry about his luck(big mistake).Well there is my positive thinking for today later.

Why 5th & 6th gear in an sx. It makes it so much more usable for offroad. I have an 04 525SX w/6sp and it is the funnest bike I have ever owned. On rides with friends on their CRF's/RMZ's ect, they are tapped out at around 70 mph. On mine I am lopping along turning around 5000 rpm=less wear and tear on engine parts. True, there are models made for this but they have an extra 30 lbs of parts which are nice but not needed for everyone. Just my 2 cents. I hope this becomes an option in the 07 engine. That would tempt me to part with my beloved 04.