Sign in to follow this  

New springs only? Who did it?

So, i would like to improve the suspension on my '06 DR650se.....i'm 175lbs without gear...has anyone just replaced the springs? How much difference did it make on/off road?:applause:

I would also replace the fork oil with new 10wt but i'm not ready to re-valve yet...is it worth the $200 for just springs?:applause:

thanks

i got 100 pounds on you and new springs turned the DR into a solid platform to conduct any business i choose to and worth every penny. at 175 you might get away with cranking up the rear and adding more pre-load to the front, but the stock front springs plain suck.

Changing preload will not make a spring stiffer. Preload only adjusts ride-height. My slightly used DR came with the stiffer springs, and I cannot imagine anything softer. It is worth it. Plus, as you add things incrementally, revalve etc, the springs are still a good investment.

It is worth more than what you pay. It is a wise investment in the your safety, if you ride offroad. If all you do is ride street, you will still benefit from a spring change. It will improve steering response and stability on rough roads. Is it necessary for street only? No.

Oil? It's cheap. Go ahead and replace it with a good quality 10wt.

It is worth more than what you pay. It is a wise investment in the your safety, if you ride offroad. If all you do is ride street, you will still benefit from a spring change. It will improve steering response and stability on rough roads. Is it necessary for street only? No.

Oil? It's cheap. Go ahead and replace it with a good quality 10wt.

I didn't do any offroad riding with the stock springs, BUT with the heavier springs, it really makes the rear shock feel like it has almost no rebound dampning. With riding on bumpy terrain, it starts to pogo stick on the rear. A friend of mine that has a 650 with the heavier springs said he could ride faster with the stock springs (even though it would bottom out more often). To work optimally, both the shock and spring should match the bike/rider and the intended usage. I still think that the spring upgrade was a good investment for me, but the DR is still a heavy comprimize bike that works reasonablly well when used as intended.

Paul

i got springs only and it made a massive difference. for the time being i'm satisfied (165 lb rider). i'm not really going to try to make my dr into some super dirt machine because it'll still be a pig and i have real dirt machines (250sx and fe550) and the dr will always be slower than those on dirt no matter what i do. i just wanted to be able to baby it less through whoops and g-outs and stuff, and be able to put a cutie on the back and go play in the twisties til we find a hotspring to jump into naked with a couple of black butte porters.

the back end does fell slightly underdamped if i try to rail through stuff at dezert race speeds, but with the stock spring it was bottoming out and kicking back hard. i can go substantially faster with the heavier springs. i went with 7.6 in the back, .46 in front.

I didn't do any offroad riding with the stock springs, BUT with the heavier springs, it really makes the rear shock feel like it has almost no rebound dampning. With riding on bumpy terrain, it starts to pogo stick on the rear. A friend of mine that has a 650 with the heavier springs said he could ride faster with the stock springs (even though it would bottom out more often). To work optimally, both the shock and spring should match the bike/rider and the intended usage. I still think that the spring upgrade was a good investment for me, but the DR is still a heavy comprimize bike that works reasonablly well when used as intended.

Paul

I did some offroading with the stock springs, and it was terribly unstable over roots, and almost unrideable in sand or whoops. The heavier springs really helped the front more than the rear but overall I'd say the improvement was 30% better over stock.

Lack of rebound was very noticeable over a series of bumps but not much different than with stock springs for me. I only went up to a 7.2kg rear.

The heavier springs alone do not correct the main problem which is poor damping in both directions, not just rebound. Adjusting the fluid level and preload may help a little but only a revalve will cure the problem.

The DR will go just about anywhere with a simple spring upgrade as long as you keep the speed very slow. I ran my DR (with just heavier springs and knobby tires) through some very rough Arkansas trails, up and down rocky hills and through very rough creek crossings with no major problems.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4886609 I can't wait to go back now that the RT valve job is done.

Unfortunately, a revalve is relatively expensive, and it's hard for most people to justify this on a 350lb dual sport bike. I did it mainly for safety reasons since I have a tendancy to push the DR to it's limits.

Thanks for all the replies...i push the DR hard on the road but on the dirt its more "site seeing" on jeep trails. I know the re-valve would make the biggest difference but for now it sounds like the springs will be a good upgrade for the money:ride: