Sign in to follow this  

Stupidity warning: Kick lever assembly

Well, I've discovered what many of you have: removing the kick lever is not the 10 second job it looks to be. Oh, no it isn't.

Anyhow, I'm trying to get this thing off and I don't have any 2 jaw pullers. I do have plenty of 3 jaw pullers, which are a huge PITA to use. I needed a little extra room, so I removed the kick lever from the base. Turns out, that is not good. When I put the lever back on, the little ball bearing on the inside that used to hold pressure on the inside of the lever has receded into the hole and doesn't put pressure on the lever or sit in the little indention, so now the lever is free to swing out without effort and doesn't "stick" in the home position. How do I get that back in there? Don't tell me I need a new lever assembly.

man-pulling-hair-out-2-754970.jpg

Edit: I managed to get it off by slipping the open end of a 21mm box wrench behind it and prying against the frame, away from the case. Magnesium is way too soft.

It all made sense as soon as I found the second ball bearing hiding deep in a crevice in the bike :applause:

The whole purpose of removing it was to try and rotate the lever counterclockwise one spline to get more leverage during kicking. One spline is too much movement and the lever hits the tank. Oh well.

battery terminal puller, autozone, five bucks. food for thought

My brain hurts a little from reading this...:applause:

So is it working now?

Yeah, it's all good. I didn't see that second ball bearing drop, so it was throwing me for a loop. All I had was the little spring and one ball. A quick inspection found it, luckily.

Oh, and watch the video to sooth that headache :applause:

Oh, and watch the video to sooth that headache :cry:

I tried, but James May gives me a headache.

I saw it on Top Gear about 3 weeks ago, only trouble is, by the time it accelerated from 0 to 250 mph, it only has enough fuel left for 12 minutes driving, and the tyres 50 minutes :cry:

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

OMG...that is fast. Can you imagine a bird hitting the windshield at that speed.:applause: