Sign in to follow this  

640 ADVenture

Looking at a 07 KTM640 Adventuer,

I herd the run like a cement truck? is that true?

Are they good to go stock or need many upgrades?

No more 400 lc4's?

thanks for the info!

Looking at a 07 KTM640 Adventuer,

I herd the run like a cement truck? is that true?

Are they good to go stock or need many upgrades?

No more 400 lc4's?

thanks for the info!

1. Get ready for major vibrations!:applause:

2. A very durable bike....almost bullet-proof:thumbsup:

3. Get tank guards. Look at www.ktm-sommer.de and when ordering, look for Oliver Nix

4. There's a 690 super enduro in the works, and it'll be out on the INTERMOT (german motorcycle show) around September.... best if you can wait.

Yes they do shake, but it gets better as they bed in. By around 1000 miles or so they are smoothing out. Depending on the specs, there is a fair bit that can be done in terms of emission gear and jetting that will help further. The POS muffler that ships in Europe and Australia has to go asap.

Mine has almost 2500kms, with improved jetting etc and is much much smoother. I can even put my gloves on the seat while its warming up and they stay there!

My 2002 took 2000 miles before it smothed out but it was much smoother then. It seemed to gain power until about 2000 miles also.

Don't buy a thumper if you don't like vibes.

If vibes are a problem then you can always walk.

Sorry about my cynical attitude i just get tired of people bichen about thumpers vibrating. It's part of owning one and it is not that big of a deal.

Lucas wiring harnesses, now that's a reason to bitch.

Don't buy a thumper if you don't like vibes.

If vibes are a problem then you can always walk.

Sorry about my cynical attitude i just get tired of people bichen about thumpers vibrating. It's part of owning one and it is not that big of a deal.

Lucas wiring harnesses, now that's a reason to bitch.

No problem. I used to ride a CR 500 that head shook like crazy and would vibrate your hands to sleep but it was way fast.

I was just hoping to get some experience from owners. On my CR I ended up filling the frame with foam to help with the vibs.

Also my 525 vibrates.:bonk:

90% of 640 riders will never outride the stock machine.

That said, there's always plenty of tinkering to be done. Also, sit on one at least before you pull the trigger, it's one tall bike that forces you to ride well.

Alright... so you got me started here. I'm looking at 1998 - 2001 640 LC4 Adventure. Planning on riding out my driveway, and to the tip. (Santa Cruz, to Cabo) Would a 640 do it? I'm used to riding a 1972 Commando on the road, so nothing could be worse. My qestion is are they that reliable, or am I better off with an XR650 or KLR (yuck). The floor is open....

Alright... so you got me started here. I'm looking at 1998 - 2001 640 LC4 Adventure. Planning on riding out my driveway, and to the tip. (Santa Cruz, to Cabo) Would a 640 do it? I'm used to riding a 1972 Commando on the road, so nothing could be worse. My qestion is are they that reliable, or am I better off with an XR650 or KLR (yuck). The floor is open....

Easily.

If you plan on adding luggage or heaping a bunch of stuff on the tail, ya might want to reinforce the rear sub frame a bit.

Wind blast at 70mph and over is rough for extended periods. Of course, with 7+ gallons of gas, stops for a gas and go are 4+ hours apart :thumbsup:

I'd also recommend an upgraded seat if you plan on long slab runs.

I'll slide this is in too - I'm selling my '02 (look in the Classifieds).