Sign in to follow this  

No tax

For the guys that buy bikes out of state and never pay tax......do they give you a title, but it just doesn't have your name on it? How does it work when you go to sell the bike? If the next person puts it in their name do they try to come back no you for tax money? Just curious.

Since I live in California, when I went to register the bike here in California they would not let you complete the registration without paying the tax. Most out of state dealers will make you pay taxes on the address on your ID (Drivers license). They work hard to make sure that they get the taxes out of you.... :applause:

What do you need a title on a dirt bike for?
Need a title for an off road sticker since we ride in the woods a few times a year , but I didn't know if there are any issues with insurance and not having a title.

Out here you pay sales tax when you want an offroad plate. Other than that everthing's the same

I can not imagine owning a bike without the title. How do you know if it is a stolen bike or not? Or if they still owe money on the bike? Since I ride on Public Park land here in California you have to have current registration otherwise you can get a ticket. It would be rare to get a ticket, but it is possible.

To show that you own it.

In many states a non registered vehicle does not require a title.

Well, just clear this up, I'm not buying a used bike at a super crazy low price, I'm simply thinking of going to Tennesee ( I live in Ohio ) to buy a new 450 because the price is very good and I could also save another 400$ in tax, plus I have relatives that work at honda who always get me a 10 discount on new bikes. I know, I'm a cheap skate, but I try to save as much money as I can. (within reason ....I don't like to hagle back and forth with this dealer will do this and that deal that etc...) Basically, with no tax and 10% discount and buying it from the dealer in Tenn. I can get an 07 450 for 5150.00 :applause:

In many states a non registered vehicle does not require a title.

Correct, and not even available if you wanted one. Bill of sale only and maybe a certificate of origin if you push the dealer.

Well, just clear this up, I'm not buying a used bike at a super crazy low price, I'm simply thinking of going to Tennesee ( I live in Ohio ) to buy a new 450 because the price is very good and I could also save another 400$ in tax, plus I have relatives that work at honda who always get me a 10 discount on new bikes. I know, I'm a cheap skate, but I try to save as much money as I can. (within reason ....I don't like to hagle back and forth with this dealer will do this and that deal that etc...) Basically, with no tax and 10% discount and buying it from the dealer in Tenn. I can get an 07 450 for 5150.00 :applause:

Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks, I would do the same:thumbsup:

if they are a title state they will give you a title when you pay for the bike.(actually it will be a MSO) you wont get a title until you register it in your state if you so desire to do so. mso will work as proof of ownership