Sign in to follow this  

20 WT fork oil??????

So I’m swapping out the fork oil on my Pistser Pro X2R and just want to check before I put the new oil in. The forks were VERY stiff before with VERY LITTLE and SLOW return when compressed. Ive read the instructions posted by old school on fork oil replacement. I’ve let them drain for well over 2 hrs over doing some runs.

1st The guys at Chaparral Motor sports & Malcom smith Motosports the 2 shops I went to looked at me funny when I said I was going to put 20 Wt. Fork oil in my mini. They say most bikes use between 5-10 maybe 15

IS 20 WT. WHAT I SHOULD USE? Im 210 lb. :applause:

2nd The Spectro SAE 20 WT fork oil I just opened up is Purple in color. HUUUM!

Is this oil ok?

I also bought some 10 & 15 Wt it is clear

So I’m swapping out the fork oil on my Pistser Pro X2R and just want to check before I put the new oil in. The forks were VERY stiff before with VERY LITTLE and SLOW return when compressed. Ive read the instructions posted by old school on fork oil replacement. I’ve let them drain for well over 2 hrs over doing some runs.

1st The guys at Chaparral Motor sports & Malcom smith Motosports the 2 shops I went to looked at me funny when I said I was going to put 20 Wt. Fork oil in my mini. They say most bikes use between 5-10 maybe 15

IS 20 WT. WHAT I SHOULD USE? Im 210 lb. :applause:

2nd The Spectro SAE 20 WT fork oil I just opened up is Purple in color. HUUUM!

Is this oil ok?

I also bought some 10 & 15 Wt it is clear

Hahaha, same here, the shop said whaaaat??? 20w????

I put in 15w maxima fork oil and it feels good being I weigh just over 200lbs.

It sounds to me that your rebound adjustment might be improplerly setup. It's been a while since I've messed with mine, don't quote me but I believe it's 14 clicks you should have when it's properly setup. I bet you'll find the adjustment of the nuts on the rod for your clickers is off a few turns. This will greatly influence the return rate of the forks on rebound after being compressed. Just unscrew the clicker screw on top with a screw driver all the way and then screw it back in 14 turns and then set the lock nuts without disturbing the clicker any further. Be sure there aren't any aluminum shavings on your fork seals on reassembly. Clean them out thoroughly. Most service manuals recommend smearing a little grease on the inside of the seal lips prior to reassembly. The same thing goes for the inner lips of the rubber axle seals on the wheels. You can also put a piece of tape or sandwich baggie on the end of the fork tube to prevent the metal from damaging the rubber seal on re-assembly. I think you'll find when properly setup, that the x2r front end is pretty kick ass and will handle your weight no problem on both jumps and bumps. Just be sure to recheck your forks a few hours after a ride for seal leaks.

*Nate, maybe you can sticky this and add this info to oldschools article.

• Like 1

Just reassembled the front end. And it NOW feels like it should A million times better. The clickers are now actually useful for actually adjusting the rebound, instead of turning into mechanical door closer like it was. :applause:

Thanks much to Hoss and Outlaw Powersports you guys rock! :applause:

Just reassembled the front end. And it NOW feels like it should A million times better. The clickers are now actually useful for actually adjusting the rebound, instead of turning into mechanical door closer like it was. :lol:

Glad to be of help as usual... :applause:

Bill, good to hear. Let me know if there is anything else we can help you out with.