Sign in to follow this  

Plating an XR 650 R in Oregon?

Is it difficult? I'm in the market for one and am wondering if it's smart to get one that is already plated. I know that the laws recently changed in Cali a year a or two ago, but not sure what the situ is here in Oregon. Not concerned with the mods required to make it street legal, more with the beauracartic red tap / hoop jumping type of stuff.

Also, if you have XR 650 R experience, how are they to start?

I have spent quite a bit of time on "The Pig Pen" and XR650.net, but didn't see much about hard starting, so maybe they ar OK. I have a CRF for serious off road and they start like a dream, but the last XR I had could be a pig to re-start when you dropped it hot. ( Granted, it was an early 80's XR 500!).

How about getting a CRF450X plated? I'd like more off road capability than street manners, so I'd go this route if it's doable.

Thanks in adavance!

the xr650r is great for baja, but up here there not as great i do not think. they overheat in tight stuff, you can license a 450x just as easily(if your lucky).if i had the money that new ktm450exc seems like the do it all answer, and legal too(and i"m a pure honda guy)

The 650R is easy to start if you know the "drill" and have the correct jetting. Mine starts in no more than 2-3 kicks no matter what the outside temperature is. As far as plating goes, I bought mine new from the dealer last spring, no hassle from the DMV, unsure whether things have changed or plating one that is not new. The 650r is a little on the heavy side on tight trails, but it makes up for it on gravel roads, dirt roads, or pavement. Great bike.

The 650R is easy to start if you know the "drill" and have the correct jetting. Mine starts in no more than 2-3 kicks no matter what the outside temperature is. As far as plating goes, I bought mine new from the dealer last spring, no hassle from the DMV, unsure whether things have changed or plating one that is not new. The 650r is a little on the heavy side on tight trails, but it makes up for it on gravel roads, dirt roads, or pavement. Great bike.

Did the dealer install the Baja Design kit, thus allowing the bike to be plated?

If your XR650 is uncorked, jetted right and you know the drill; mine starts in 1to 3 kicks. Usually 1st kick. Before the uncorking it was a bitch. If I turn it upside down I have to pull the decomp lever and kick it over about 6 times and then she will fire right up. I think pretty much every bike is that way unless it has an E-start. As far as plating I would try and buy one that is plated. I was able to get mine plated last June but it took some effort. Mine was a Cali bike with Off Hiway use only on the title. I don't want to explain how I got through it online. Great bike, a lot of work in the tight stuff but hill climbing nothing can compare. The torque is amazing! On the road it is fun. The front wheel loves to climb. John

It's a good bike, I had two of them. I never found it hard to start but I am 250 lbs. so kicking it over wasn't an issue. As far as starting after a laydown, follow the recommended drill found in the owner's manual. Not hard or laborious by any means.

I just do too much single track to enjoy the brute force of that bike. I didn't like the suspension either (prolly my weight). Power? There's plenty. Speed? too much actually. I never found an off-road spot here to fully open it up.

Like jcoyne said, getting them plated is difficult but can be done. Also like jcoyne, I don't want to disclose the process online because the Sierra Club or whacko eco-terrorist lawmakers might read it and slam the loophole shut. This process works the same for a 450X or 650R so don't choose either one based on plating. Let's just say you need to buy it from someone who has never registered the bike in your home state. The seller must have registered it at least once but never in your home state (unless it's already plated there).

Getting a plate is not hard, no emissions. go to dmv and a get a "plate for your motorcycle" come prepaired with vin# and insurance.

Your best bet is to call Cliffs Cycles in Baker, Oregon and ask Kip. He used to set a bunch of XR's up for the street before he sold them, but if memory serves me correctly he said Oregon changed their laws and he hasn't done any more. I would call him anyway, if you can't set up a new one, maybee he knows of one already "grandfathered" in for sale.