Sign in to follow this  

Test drove the Aprilia 550 SVX Motard today.

I like my DRZ better.......

The v twin had good mid and top range power. But it wouldn't make any power untill after you got over about 3k after that, Pulled really hard. I let one of the Tech fellas ride the DRZ 450 and he was impressed with it.

I found the smoothness of the 550 aluring. But not enough to think about getting it. I wish I would have had someone on my bike that would have got on it and let me see how it faired aginst the 550. The guy was way too low in the PRM's to really get a jerk out of the motor.

I didn't get to ride any wheelies on the 550, cause the Tech was with me. But it seemed when the power got up to about 8k, it would have done one without much effort. Great power from a 550, a little hard to get used to but WOW! And the seat..... You think the DRZ seat is uncomfortable? Try the Aprilia. Another funny thing, when we pulled back in the parking lot, the 550's oil pressure light came on and stayed on. Ha! The thing had 375 miles on it and the "CHECK ENGINE" light was already on!!

I have about 7,000 miles ont he DRZ and not much problems out of it. I screwed up a cylinder by getting dirt in it somehow, but other than that, pretty much flawless.

So my synopsis is, the Aprilia 550 is a good bike if you like spending alot of money on something that will give you plenty of time in the garage and a little time out ont he road to peel off the skin from your cheeks. Otherwise, Aprilia has a lot of work to do. It was a fun ride, but even the tech said, "Yeah, the maintenance schedule is what will kill the sales of these puppies." With an expected top end rebuild after every 3500 miles, I don't know. I don't think I'd like changing the piston and rings every 3500 mi, would you?

For now, I'll jeep trying to get the DRZ to 500cc's and make good HP and torque from it. That should be plenty of work and fun for my little self.

-Kevin

I was drooling about these bikes for the longest time. I was even willing to overlook the fixable problems people were having (inevitable with any first gen vehicle), but that maintenance interval just killed the dream for me.

I still want to ride one, though.

Oh, how did it sound? I'd really like to hear one with an aftermarket exhaust. I love a good V-twin sound. Even the SV650 sounds good with a pipe. I'd imagine this little screamer would sound wonderful.

Oh, how did it sound? I'd really like to hear one with an aftermarket exhaust. I love a good V-twin sound. Even the SV650 sounds good with a pipe. I'd imagine this little screamer would sound wonderful.

Here you go....not sure if its the 450 or 550

Sounds like its got an electronic shifter as well.

The sound wasn't that impressive. My DRZ sounded better (I may be a bit biased). But for a v Twin, I was disappointed in the sound. It was de-restricted, said to have 72 hp or so. I did feel the HP there. If you let it run at 5k or so, it really didn't perform well. The thing liked to run at 7-8k and above. It would redline at 14k, I liked that part.

Overall, if the bike didn't have a high maintenance problem, it would be a descent SM. The weight was up there, but the 72 HP made up for it. I really don't think it was 72hp.

Here you go....not sure if its the 450 or 550

Sounds like its got an electronic shifter as well.

It's not an electronic shifter and the 550 I was on didn't sound like that. It was more muffled.

That's a awesome story. I like how the check engine light was on.

that was funny... i looked at one right before buying my sm and i have to say the aprilla looks pretty SICK. I had to go with the bike that would still be running strong after its paid off

Gorgeous bike wiht typical Italian qualities. The sound was freakin amazing though! LOVE it!

That's a awesome story. I like how the check engine light was on.

Yeah, the Tech was like, "Humm, is the light staying on??" I almost laughed at it, but I thought that would be rude.

I had a similar opinion after test riding a SVX450 at the local dealership just after New Years. Controls were pretty stiff, steering was noticably higher effort than the DRZ. Exhaust sound was loud and it had some vibration as it rev'd out under full throttle that made me think I was accelerating faster than I really was. Still, the 450 was plenty quick. Beautiful bike, but i'm not convinced it's worth 2x as much as my DRZ. And this is coming from someone who has been an Aprilia fanatic for 6 years.

I have had Aprilia sportbikes in the past, and I know that after a few hundred miles, the display would light up with a service engine message. Basically this message came on because Aprilia wanted you to change the oil half way through the break in. I wonder if that was the reason for the light.

Oh well, I bought my DRZ SM because I couldnt wait any longer for the Aprilia to come out. Regardless, I think I made the right decision...but how sweet would it be to have a 550 and the 400 living under one roof.

I would have friends coming out of the wood work come Sunday morning wanting to go blast some curves! LOL!!

can any one help i have 2009 aprilia svx that wont start thought it was the battery,it was good but now the starter is clicking,i was reading on line about a tip over switch but could not find out any info is there any one out there that could help i jjust want to ride.................:ride:

Ha! The thing had 375 miles on it and the "CHECK ENGINE" light was already on!!

I don't think the DRZ even has a warning light.

With an expected top end rebuild after every 3500 miles, I don't know. I don't think I'd like changing the piston and rings every 3500 mi, would you?

Stupid service interval for anything with a license plate.

I , at first , was going to buy a husky SM . I now am so glad I spotted the DRZ/SM , up untill the time I spotted it , I had no idea that suzuki made one . All the so called exotic bikes just have way too many problems , and cost an arm and a leg more . I have found that even after modifying mine with a carb , pipe , cams and now a bigbore , it still costs less and is getting a lot closer in the HP stakes . They are sweet bikes these exotics , but I just love the fact that I can ride mine day in day out whenever I want , and not have little lights to tell me that it would be a bad idea , greg

Are they still making the Aprilla sumo's?